Thread: Severe Disability Premium question

Severe Disability Premium question

Hi,
    Hopefully somebody will be able to help me.

Firstly my husband and myself are the only people that live in the house.
    I have recently been awarded PIP daily living at the standard rate and mobility at the enhanced rates.
    I get CA for my husband who rceives ESA in the support group and DLA both components at the high rate.
    We also get HB and CTB.
    This week my husband has received a letter from JCP saying that he 'may' be able to get extra money in the form of SDP. This letter included a form to fill out and return.

My questions are
    1) Are we actually entitled to this because we are a couple and I get CA for my husband?
    2) Would claiming it effect HB and CTB?
    3) Would it effect my CA claim?
    4) What happens if this form is not returned - any negative effect on other benefits received.

I hope that this is enough information for someone to answer. From what I have searched on the internet SDP is not a straight forward premium.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by flutter; 20-10-15 at 11:37.

If one of you get carers allowance then no you won't be entitled.
    Does your husband get PIP also?

No, my husband is still getting DLA.
    After a little searching on the internet, apart from being very confused about SDP it also left me wondering why the letter had been sent at all with me getting CA so I thought that I would ask for advice on here.
    I did wonder if letters are sent out automatically.
    Last edited by flutter; 20-10-15 at 12:12.

Guest081215
    Yes you can get SDP as a couple if both of you get a qualifying benefit such as PIP or DLA care rates. We get standard rate daily living each and I get high rate mobility both PIP.

We get income suport as we couldn't go through an ESA assessment and its associated hassle and he gets carers premium for me.
    We get the single rate sdp for him as no-one claims carers for him. There are 2 rates.
    There will be no penalty for not filling in the form.
    My circumstances are slightly different as in benefits claimed though. I don't know if contribution based benefits makes any difference and you don't say if you get that.

You would get single rate SDP, because although both of you qualify, you get paid carers for looking after him, so that means he does not qualify. If you don't return the form, you dont get the extra. Housing/council should be no effect unless you are getting less than you should, so there might be an increase. No effect on carers allowance.

I would strongly advise you to get a benefits check up from CAB.

Have you been added to your husband's ESA claim or are you working?

If you are on your husband's ESA claim then you may be better off ending your CA claim and then both of you will be eligible for the SDP (which is more than CA)

However, without knowing all the circumstances it is difficult to say.

You could try putting different scenarios into the benefit calculator on www.entitledto.co.uk and then go to CAB for a better off benefits calculation.