Thread: A night at the A & E.

A night at the A & E.

I have just spent the night in a&E at our newly built extension to the West Cumberland Hospital.

I was not impressed.

The quality of workmanship was well below what I would expect in an office building never mind a new Hospital wing that has been open for less than a month.

I only saw the A&E 'majors' dept. and the Emergency Assessment Ward - but if anything I would expect these to be of the highest standard.
    Badly fitted suspended ceilings, doors not hung correctly, door latches out of line, rubber buffers already faling off the toilet seats, you get the idea.

I know this may be a bit contentious but I was also disappointed by the staff, loud conversations about patients conditions that could be overheard by other patients, long delays answering patients call buttons, 15 mins to fetch one guy a bed-bottle.
    At one point I was on my own in a 3 bed ward and could see the 'Staff Base' outside the door, this was unmanned for 25 mins. on an emergency ward where everyone is supposed to be constantly monitored.
    It's subjective, and I haven't mentioned everything, you had to be there to see the poor standard of care.

Maybe they are disheartened, there is already talk of downgrading the A&E to a minor injuries unit only open from 9AM to 9PM, less than a month after it has opened.

This incidently would mean that anybody having a stroke, a heart attack, or in a car crash would have to be taken to the Carlisle Hospital A&E, an hours drive away.
    They are also talking about closing the Maternity Unit and moving that to Carlisle as well, there are going to be lots of babies born in ambulances if they do this.

Sorry, rant over.

PS. I'm fine by the way, it was just a reaction to medication (Ritalin) making my heartbeat go erratic for a while.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Blimey! Glad you are ok.

As for over-hearing conversations about patients - I would be complaining about that. Not sure if verbal is covered in data protection/confidentiality though..I'd be disgusted!

While I know what you mean the last thing this hospital needs at the moment is a raft of complaints.

I have no doubts whatsoever that any complaints would be used as a reason/excuse to justify cutbacks.

The cutbacks are going to happen anyway so why give them an excuse?

PS. I've been thinking a bit more about that A&E or minor injuries?
    It may be a missreporting.
    Yesterday I was in A&E Majors, which suggests there must also be an A&E minor injuries already.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I suppose I'm lucky that we have two local hospitals and one serves A&E customers - the other minor injuries.

If only more people understood the difference of the two!

In a nutshell - a 20 minute wait to see a nurse/doctor in minor injuries clinic or a 4 hour wait at A&E

Well you know how to spend a Wow evening! I think if it was MAJOR trauma they might whistle for the air ambulance? So the hours drive, poss less with blues n twos...is relative. Staff base prob not occupied cuz staff were dashing about to other peeps.
    Sadly its chronic understaffing thats the problem, not that staff don't care - they are spread too thin.

MY stays in A&E i am usually unconscious so no time to assess the architecture.........