Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: medical assessment yesterday and I'm confused

medical assessment yesterday and I'm confused

Hi, I am a 34 year old woman with severe asthma, depression and kidney problems and went for my medical at arden house, Gosforth yesterday. The lady that conducted the medical was a retired gp, and seemed very pleasant. She first asked e about the medication that 8 am currently taking, I gave her the long list. She firstly started to ask me about my asthma. She asked me questions like how far I can walk, how many times I have been in hospital, have I been in intensive care in the last 12 months and also how many hospital admissions I have had in the last 12 months. I answered all these questions which took around 15 minutes. After these questions she said she needed to leave the room to speak to a colleague. She came back in the room 5 minutes later and said that she had sufficient information and that instead of prolonging the assessment she didn't need to discuss how my depression and kidney problems affected me.
    I am confused about this as why didn't she ask me about those conditions.
    She continued to say that I have a severe condition and (only the asthma)the other medical problems would not change the results of my assessment.
    Now the day after I'm sitting here thinking why did she do this, is she just going to advise them I am capable of work or did my asthma qualify me for enough points?
    Any thoughts on this would be welcomed.
    Thanks in advance

hello trickyvics..good question..i had my assessment last week,and i felt the same,as my assessment lasted aprox 30 mins.. assessor didn't go through all of the questions/discriptors,he reached a point ans said he had enough information now...it left me worried because,if i don't score the 15 points needed,then i will feel cheated,as he didn't go through everything..so i wonder if that's a good thing or bad.. it will be bad if i score no points at the end..

We had a similar issue with my wifes medical assessment yesterday.
    They came out to our house and spent well over an hour asking questions, but didn't actually do any assessment on her limbs etc at all, instead saying that from the paperwork it was obvious that by asking her to do so would cause her far too much pain and risk sub-luxing or dislocation of the joints.
    Fingers crossed this means that they accept what we are saying, but equally we also think that if we are scored low for a certain descriptor would we have been cheated out of our opportunity to show how bad things actually are.
    Time will tell I guess.

Well let's see how it goes for all of us. When I mentioned to a friend yesterday I was only in room 15 minutes they were in shock as they were in over a hour. I just will be annoyed if it's refused as they didn't take into consideration everything else going on in my life health wise. Also if I'm successful in this claim for esa is there anything else I can claim? X

Hi all, my partners assessment lasted less than 10 minutes and like you we were worried about the outcome but needn't of been.
    I gave esa a call a week after assessment to request the report as we didn't expect a decision that soon but was told it had already been made, I would recommend you call as even if they have no decision yet it's always worth requesting the report to see what the hp has put in it.
    Good luck all

When they cut short a WCA it means that they have enough information to make a recommendation to the DWP, usually Support Group, but remember what they say is only a recommendation it's the DM that has the final say.

So what other information does the DM use? X

Quote Originally Posted by trickyvics198106 View Post
    Well let's see how it goes for all of us. When I mentioned to a friend yesterday I was only in room 15 minutes they were in shock as they were in over a hour. I just will be annoyed if it's refused as they didn't take into consideration everything else going on in my life health wise. Also if I'm successful in this claim for esa is there anything else I can claim? X
    you can claim PIP if you haven't already ?

Quote Originally Posted by trickyvics198106 View Post
    So what other information does the DM use? X
    Everything you send in, together with your ESA50.

The Assessor may also have sent an ESA113 to your GP, though this doesn't happen in many cases.
    Last edited by Jard; 16-10-15 at 12:06. Reason: Adding text

Quote Originally Posted by Jard View Post
    When they cut short a WCA it means that they have enough information to make a recommendation to the DWP, usually Support Group, but remember what they say is only a recommendation it's the DM that has the final say.
    thank you Jard..i did ring them today,but no decision yet,guess it just takes time,hope it wont be too long now