Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: accessing disabled toilets

accessing disabled toilets

I'm looking for advice regarding this, I am now always in either a wheelchair or a mobility scooter when out of the house.

I find it impossible to open the door that leads to the corridor which the toilet facilities are housed, I have to hope someone else comes along and opens it for me, this is very frustrating and I feel like I should be able to go to the loo on my own!!

Would anyone let me know their strategy for getting through these doors please, thanks :-)

You get a RADAR key. https://crm.disabilityrightsuk.org/radar-nks-key

you cab get cheap ones on Google but they are prob knock offs. THIS is the official one and you have it whereever you go.

Thanks for the reply reddivine, I haven't explained myself well. I have a radar key, the problem is getting to that toilet door, lots of places have a door that leads to the toilets that are all together in a corridor. I can't get through the first door to access in the first plqce

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by keeper29 View Post
    I'm looking for advice regarding this, I am now always in either a wheelchair or a mobility scooter when out of the house.

I find it impossible to open the door that leads to the corridor which the toilet facilities are housed, I have to hope someone else comes along and opens it for me, this is very frustrating and I feel like I should be able to go to the loo on my own!!

Would anyone let me know their strategy for getting through these doors please, thanks :-)
    Hi keeper29

You might have a word with Disability Rights ( http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help )which now incorporates RADAR. They may be able to tell you whether there is any breach of the section M regulations on access which include access to toilets for all. Otherwise let us hope one of your fellow wheelchair users has found a coping strategy for challenging doors.

Quote Originally Posted by keeper29 View Post
    Thanks for the reply reddivine, I haven't explained myself well. I have a radar key, the problem is getting to that toilet door, lots of places have a door that leads to the toilets that are all together in a corridor. I can't get through the first door to access in the first place
    Hmm, thats probly down to the building in question. i know in MOST places i have been (Wetherspoons, my local shopping centre, MOST big shopping centres and supermarkets, Euston station.......the entrance to disabled loo deffo does not require a previous door.

i think if a place has been built after a certain date it has to comply with regs to ensure that?

If its a public building - pub, theatre, shop, have a Word with Person In charge and say "can you hold this door for me?"
    Last edited by reddivine; 10-10-15 at 10:31.

Hi I understand exactly what you mean as my daughter has the same problem.
    If you can manage the one lighter weight door, check for a 'changing places toilet' in the places you visit.
    Sea Queen

Hi I understand exactly what you mean as my daughter has the same problem.
    If you can manage the one lighter weight door, check for a 'changing places toilet' in the places you visit.
    Sea Queen

I agree, but a good example is in Plymouth, the main toielts are right near the entrance and the disabled a fair distance away and not at well signed. I do agree about the corridor issue, sometimes these people put these toilets in and then don't think how easy it is in real life for someone in a wheelchair to reach them or gain access.

We recently had our Market Hall revamped complete with toilets - My daughter had the same problem as you when out.
    I emailed the council and asked how they thought it was possible for wheelchair users to
    A reach the high door handles
    B pull the door open - hold it and get through it????

it was hard work I can tell you.

I was then told they had a 'Changing rooms Toilet'

Cutting a long story I was 'eventually' told it was The outside of the building???

Couldn't find any toilet door????

Guess what - it wasn't ready for use and the sign - well it was so high above the door it was laughable.
    How did they expect wheelchair users to see THAT!!!

It was eventually finished and a handle was put on the door.
    Special keys were given to open it on request.

Some of these councils do not have the slightest idea what they are on about at times as they don't understand disability problems.

Changing rooms is probably your best option - look on their site to see if there is one in your area.

Good Luck !!!
    Sea Queen

I have started to ask the staff of the store I'm in to assist with door opening, I'm trying to avoid these situations so I'm spending my money where I can also spend a penny easily :-)