Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: accessing disabled toilets

I'm not sure the difference, but in Canada most of our accessible toilets are in with the same gendered toilets for the regular populace. The stall is quiet large in comparison to the rest of the stalls, with a lower toilet, grab bars, and sometimes (though rarely) a sink. In most public places there isn't a door to get into the washroom, instead they'll get creative with walls to make the place private, usually these mini corridors are large enough to wheel a wheelchair in. The only door you'd have to worry about then, is the light stall door. Do they not have those where you are from? Or are these 'special' washrooms, that are in inclusion to the disabled stalls? If so, maybe using the disabled stalls would be easier. Some places even have a push button to get the door to open automatically, as washroom doors are notoriously heavy.

Please can we use the right terminology.

After all people can't access a disabled toilet as it must be broken!

Disabled people use -

accessible toilets not disabled toilets

Disabled people don't park up in disabled parking bays but in accessible parking bays

When referring to yurself you are known as a disabled person not a person with disabilities.

Disabled People follow the 'social model' of disability not the 'medical model'.

If you need to know more just ask.

Bear in mind that Leesa lives in Canada,

Whilst not as bad as the USA, Canadian terminology is obviously going to be different than UK terminology.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I'm very sorry to offend you Lighttouch, nukecad is right, disabled and accessible toilet is both okay in Canada, but I'll try to use accessible parking, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Please can we use the right terminology.

After all people can't access a disabled toilet as it must be broken!

Disabled people use -

accessible toilets not disabled toilets

Disabled people don't park up in disabled parking bays but in accessible parking bays

When referring to yurself you are known as a disabled person not a person with disabilities.

Disabled People follow the 'social model' of disability not the 'medical model'.

If you need to know more just ask.
    You are wrong!

Toilets intended for disabled people in my local Shopping Centre, Town Hall, along with those in every motorway service facility which I have visited in recent weeks were all designated/signed as a “Disabled” facility.

Parking bays reserved for disabled people on a public highway are designated as “Disabled bays” on the UK Government website, as well as on the County Council websites which I have just viewed. Even the Blue Badge User Document refers to ‘On-street’ disabled parking bays.

Parking bays reserved for disabled people in my local supermarkets (Sainsbury’s, Aldi and Lidl) all refer on the signs to “disabled parking bays”.

Your request is clearly nothing other than a personal campaign to adopt your preferred language.

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisD; 30-10-15 at 14:17.

Does it really really matter the terminology used?
    Will someone die if the wording is wrong?

No !

Lets not nick pick eh.
    Sea Queen