Thread: Getting re housed / housing advice

Getting re housed / housing advice

Just wanted some housing advice really.

I'm single and live in a two bedroom flat alone with my local social housing. I've been there 6 years and it's fine.

Problem is I suffer mental health issues and I my family don't live near. I'm not able to get the support I need. I'm also very isolated and lonely, & my self harming behaviours are increasing. I've spoken with my doctor and she agrees it's making my problems worse and is writing a letter to my landlord asking me to be rehoused.

My applying with my local housing registrar and waiting to hear what band I get.

I'm hoping to be re housed closer to my family. What are the Chances of me being rehoused? Still not sure what the outcome will be

Thanks

Depending on the housing situation where you live, it could be anything from not too bad to almost impossible. Unfortunately there are so many people desperate for re-housing due to medical need, and there aren't enough social rented properties to go round. Presumably you're paying the dreaded bedroom tax in your current home, so as well as needing to move closer to your family for support, moving to a smaller place would make things easier financially? Some councils are really keen to move people out of properties if they're under occupying so they can free them up for others who need more bedrooms, so you might find you're higher up the list because of that as well as your medical need. It's good that you're getting something from your doctor as that will help, and if you haven't had one already, you'll probably have an assessment by someone from the medical housing needs and that will be a good chance to explain everything in detail and make sure they understand the effect it's having on you. If you have a CPN or other health professionals involved in your care, it's worth asking them for support as well - the more evidence you have, the better your chance of getting a quick move.

It might be worth a phone call to your local Occupational Therapy department, who 'should' offer some advice and may make a referral to an OT for an assessment.

If all then goes well with the OT, they 'may' refer you to the Housing Support Officer (or equivalent) for your local council.

Good luck.

If your renting the best bet might be a flat swap. See if the local authority has a website in place. Ask at the housing dept.

Following on from the previous comment, you could try www.homeswapper.co.uk

Totally agree with you addison75 the lonely part can be some what horrible.I had to leave my country being belfast due to mental health after being blown up many years back and also being shoot I could not leave my home and felt it was all my fault and depression set in and tool iver and then the feeling worthless and self harming came into play I took the steps to leave at night and move away thinking it would help amd go to a p lace were no one new me but it never helped been here now 6 years and have not met one friend on the other had I got alot of support of gps who listened and jealth care people wjo do not understand but seem to care.as for housing I rent private and find it the better option as with local housing its normally in bad areas ect and would add to the condition thats my opinion tho.but if you feel you need to leave maybe look at the private sector rent first until you get on your feet and get the support behind you to secire a council propery.good luck with your health and also the move