Thread: New boot mobility scooter with good weight limit - bargain?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New boot mobility scooter with good weight limit - bargain?

After a deterioration in my arthritis and a horrible experience while out last week with my IBS flaring and me not being able to walk fast enough to get to the loo in time, I've bought a mobility scooter. We're on a really tight budget and even a lot of the used ones we looked at were over our budget, but we saw an Elite Go Go Traveller Plus brand new on Ebay for £529 through Lloyds Pharmacy with free delivery. We put it on watch list for a few days and rang around some local shops, then I got an e-mail offering a 10% discount, so we managed to get it for £476 which we thought was pretty good for brand new. We're restricted in what we can get as it needs to be one that goes in the car, but as hubby is 22st, many of the budget boot ones we looked at wouldn't take his weight, and it seemed pointless spending all that money unless it was something we could both make use of as his mobility is worse than mine. This scooter has a 23st weight limit so is ideal for heavier users, and I went out on it yesterday for the first time and was really impressed - comfortable, quiet, handled uneven pavements and drop kerbs well. Just thought it worth a mention if there's anyone else out there in the same boat, and wondered if anyone else had one of these scooters and had any positive/negative comments about it?

Lloyds also sell a 12amp version the difference is it has a 10 mile range instead of 13 with the 18amp the range obviously depends on weight and terrain.The price for the 10amp is £429ex vat with free delivery.

I have the pride elite go go traveller plus. I bought mine new from CareCo for just a little over £500. It's a very good scooter. The weight limit wasn't an issue for me but I wanted something small and light enough to go in the car (mine goes on the back seat as I'm not able to lift it in and out of boot) but tough enough to handle days out at zoos, national trust properties etc. It has been all sorts of places over rough terrain and handles very well but it manoevrable to handle in smaller spaces too. I like the fact that it is a couple of inches longer than the go go elite traveller and because I'm a shorty I can fit my feet on the deck and be sat properly supported which is important for me as I have problems with my back.

The only downside for me as that the battery is losing charge now after only 6 months of use. It has had heavy, daily use though.

That's good to know it's okay over rougher terrain. My husband loves photography, specially wildlife and horse racing, and having the scooter will mean he can get a lot further. We're lucky that we live in quite a flat area and there are lots of walks and trails with decent flat paths, and it'll be great for him to whizz around at race meetings to get the best photos.

Just musing about changing mine as well, plenty of choice but really only 2 or 3 brands worth considering..........You really need to need to know what you need and what to look for with these batteries, big earner for mobility shops........
    As for the tyres, yes mine are pneumatic, but I have a bottle of puncture proof treatment, so any punctures almost instantly self seal........no limit to amount of times they can do this either.
    Just out of curiosity catlover, when and how often do you charge your batteries? It can make a tremendous difference charging the batteries the right way.

Caley, I see you are in North Lincs, Same here. I use my scooter to go through the nature reserves at Far Ings in Barton, and the Watersedge site. Make sure you have punctureproof tyre on, no spare wheels on these scooters.
    I have shoprider sovereign, bought from someone on here, ideal for me and can get it into the back of my friends estate car.

the wheels on the go go elite traveller plus are solid so no problem with punctures. obviously not as comfortable but you can't have everything Just had the batteries changed on mine which turned into a bit of a drama but sorted now. I don't know where I'd be without mine as I need it for anything other than very short distances so use it daily. I even use it in the office at work.

The one thing I still need is a bigger basket - the basket that comes with it is ridiculously small and when I take my camera and camera bag out I need a bigger basket to put it in.

Charging the batteries is something I've never really got the hang of as there is so much conflicting info out there. Even the manual that came with has conflicting info - in one place it implies they work best if allowed to drain and fully recharge then elsewhere it recommends keeping them topped up. I'm also never quite clear whether I should stop charging when the green light indictes they are charged or leave them overnight.

I tend to charge a couple of times a week and always before (and after) a full day out where it's been used a lot. I don't charge after every day if I've only done a short distance. I have to carry them indoors (I wheel them in on a trolley) to charge which is quite difficult so dont' want to be doing that every day.

Daily I use it to get from car to work and back (only about 150m each day) then a bit at lunchtime (probably about a mile) then a bit around the office. At least once a week it gets a full day out.