Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permitted Work

Permitted Work

Hello I would be grateful for some advice.

I am in a support group for ESA but I hope to eventually make it out get back into employment.

I have opportunity to work a couple of hours a week (4 - 8hrs) and meet people and help them also.
    The rate is going to be around ?9 per hour. It will help build my confidence.

If I start doing this is my ESA going to be affected?
    What is a PW1 form?

I am worried if I start doing this then I can't cope that I will be left with no ESA and job as well...etc.

Thank You in advance

The PW1 form is for permitted work.

Just complete it and wait for their decision.

It really should't be a problem as you are working under 16 hrs and meet the earnings requirement.

Permitted work does not affect your ESA or any other benefits.

A bit more on permitted work, and a link to an example of a PW1 form so you can see what it's like.

You can do some 'permitted work' whilst claiming ESA which can include self employment.
    (I will leave out 'supported permitted work' as this has special rules).

You should of course inform the DWP if you intend to do any work whilst claiming ESA.
    If this is paid work they will send you form PW1 that you fill in and return.
    You can find an example here: http://www.pkc.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=23634&p=0
    (Don't print this off and use it, it is only for information and is marked as such. Get a form from the Jobcentre or DWP which will have their contact details, etc. filled in).

They then decide if the work is permitted from this form. (Although you may have already have done the work before they make the decision).

There are rules of course and one of the important ones depends on whether you are in WRAG or Support Group.

Firstly you can do Permitted Work at the Lower Limit - with this you can earn up to £20 a week for an unlimited period.

Or you can do Permitted Work at the Higher Limit - with this you can earn up to £104.00 after tax and national insurance deductions if the work is for less than 16 hours a week. (This is based on the national minimum wage).

If you are in WRAG you can only do this Permitted Work @ Higher Limit for 52 weeks then have to have a 52 week break.
    (Even if you only do Permitted Work for one day that starts the 52 week period after which you can't do anymore for the next 52 weeks).

If you are in support group this 52 week cycle does not apply, you can keep on doing Permitted Work as long as you like.

Money earned from Permitted Work does not affect you ESA payments.
    Last edited by nukecad; 01-10-15 at 03:51. Reason: Note added that the form here is for info only.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

A lot of organisations get around the paperwork by just paying 'expenses' for time worked. I do secret shopping and just complete an online survey for a well known company.

I complete an expenses form and get paid via BACS e.g. money deposited straight to my bank account all without leaving the house. Some companies will acrue a larger figure and then help you out by paying say the deposit on a Motability car.

They call it 'creative accountancy' - and it's legal!!

Some companies may ask you to submit a bill as if you are a consultant - not recommended as tax is deducted before payment.

'Paid expenses' is the way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    A lot of organisations get around the paperwork by just paying 'expenses' for time worked. I do secret shopping and just complete an online survey for a well known company.

I complete an expenses form and get paid via BACS e.g. money deposited straight to my bank account all without leaving the house. Some companies will acrue a larger figure and then help you out by paying say the deposit on a Motability car.

They call it 'creative accountancy' - and it's legal!!

Some companies may ask you to submit a bill as if you are a consultant - not recommended as tax is deducted before payment.

'Paid expenses' is the way forward.
    Do you do the secret shopping on line or do you need to leave the house for that?

All secret shopping is home based.
    If you ask for a demonstration of a product at home you get paid twice as much as a telephone conversation.

Ok I got the job.....2 hours per week, 12.55 per hour.

I am trying to move forward, so now I am worrying if I will be able to cope.
    What ESA people will say.

It doesn't seem right most people would work if they could, I hope to get back there but in the interim I need security of ESA support group.
    I am bit stressed but hope everything goes smoothly, as I sent in permitted to work application.

That should be fine then.

You are well within the permitted work rules and have sent them a PW1, so everything is covered.

Hope you get on well with the job.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I have sent in this version of the form PW1 http://www.pkc.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=23634. it does say "for information" in light writing but I ignored it.

Is this the latest version or does another version exist for 2015?

thanks again from a real worrier as you can see.

You really need to speak to the DWP about doing permitted work. They will then send you a form to complete.