Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using A Disability Scooter

Using A Disability Scooter

Anyone know the answer to this.
    My friend has been unwell for several months with breathing problems and can't walk far - I am talking to her gate, before becoming breathless.

GP is currently organising tests to find out the cause.

To get to the shops she needs a mobility scooter but she says she has read that 'Unless a person is registered Disabled they cannot use a Mobility Scooter'

It's the first I knew of it.

She is currently thinking of buying one herself as she hasn't applied for DLA yet as the GP has been very slow is sorting out her condition
    Last edited by sea queen; 22-09-15 at 16:18.
    Sea Queen

No you don't have to be registered disabled to have a scooter. If you look round there are many able bodied folk using them.
    Tell you friend not to go to one of the mobility shops in town, they are all rip off merchants.
    I got my last one from these people 3 years ago, spoke to them on the phone and stated my requirements. They then sourced one for me. Cost me £700 brand new.
    http://www.fairprice-mobility-scooters.co.uk/

They will bring them out to try and if you go over there you will be able to bring it back or they will deliver.

Beau is right about rip-off prices. A mobility shop company rep once told me about the extortionate mark-up they make on new scooters, I couldn't believe it!
    Not sure if it's any help to your friend, but many towns have a shopmobility scheme where you can hire a scooter for free for a couple of hours to get around town. You don't have to be on disability benefits, be "registered disabled" or be over a certain age, and even people who have a temporary mobility problem, say someone in a pot with a broken ankle etc, can use them. All you do is have an initial assessment to see whether you're able to ride it safely and I think once you're registered, you can pretty much use any shopmobility scheme in the UK which is handy for holidays and days trips. Only trouble is you have to be able to get to the shopmobility place in the first place and are restricted to getting around a town centre or shopping centre for a few hours, but if she can't afford her own scooter or thinks she'd prefer to get used to one before buying, it might be worth a try to start with if she can get there. Some big supermarkets also have them so you can get around the store to do your shopping. Your local council website will probably have details of any local shopmobility schemes nearby.
    My hubby and I both have mobility problems and are waiting to go for our shopmobility assessments. We could really do to buy our own but our car isn't big enough to take two scooters. When we can afford it, we're planning on getting one to share until we can afford to get a bigger car. It'll probably have to be a second hand one, but Beau's link is well worth checking out to see if we can get a good deal.

Ring them if you are interested. I paid much less than the prices advertised on the web site.

His wife has MS so I think he knows that affordable aids are a necessity .

Hi, I bought mine second hand a road scooter for £300, It was as new only used a few times, Look on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    Ring them if you are interested. I paid much less than the prices advertised on the web site.

His wife has MS so I think he knows that affordable aids are a necessity .
    Hi, I bought mine second hand, a road scooter for ?300, It was as new only used a few times, Look on ebay.

EBay is a risk unless you can view and try it first. My 1st one was off EBay and it wasn't a good buy at all. Once bitten twice shy.

Online is definitely cheaper. I bought my Pride go go elite traveler plus from CareCo for a little over £500. The same model was being sold by a local showroom for £1200. Ok, I'd have better support onhand from the local place but I could buy a new replacement scooter if I had a problem and still have change from the price they quoted. Lots of shopmobility places do repairs and I am lucky that there is one located in my workplace and so they do little things for me for free but they'd do them for anyone either free or for a very competitive price. I've not had any major problems.

As to being registered disabled - there's not really such a thing anymore. Some local authorites will still register people as disabled but there is no consistent criteria and other authorities will tell you that there is no such thing and they do not have any disability registration scheme. I do believe you are supposed to be disabled to use a scooter, however, and they are not supposed to be used by able bodied people? Not sure of exact rules and there is no specific definition of what constitutes disabled or mobility problems. It's self defined. So if you think you need to use one due to mobility problems then go ahead and use one.

I got my boot scooter from the Mobility Road Show for £450, beat them down in price. The same one, well they are all the same with a different makers badge, was £25 more online.

We've looked on Ebay and found quite a few decent-sounding used ones, but you don't know what you're getting and it's a bit of a risk. I think I'd prefer to get a second hand one from a company rather than a private seller, you might pay a bit more but at least you've got more comeback if it goes wrong. Makes it more difficult that we need a big heavy duty one because hubby is over 20 stone, so the lightweight folding ones to go in the car boot aren't suitable.