Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: VW. Tip ofthe iceberg? Death knell for diesels?

New logo "the cars that seem too good to be true".

Personally I think they are making a mountain out of a molehill. There is a long history of tampering to make cars pass tests. Exhausts are designed to pass noise tests at the given engine speed often to the detriment of performance overall, emissions figures can be tuned to be passed again at the detriment of performance - it's been common practice for years. I drive a modern diesel with all the tech to make it appear clean but I know diesels are dirty engines and will never be as clean as petrol engines. I'm just surprised that particulate emissions weren't seen as serious a problem as the nasty chemical emissions of petrol engines.
    -------------
    Martin
    [Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 eHDi ETG6 Exclusive]

I agree and both petrol and diesel have elements that are worse and better than each other. Petrols are better with nox emissions, but fare worse them diesel for co2 emissions. Both pollute however.

Petrol is now cheaper than diesel again. Co2 often very close. In real life driving diesel no as good.

This is an older post but two years on I feel there are merits in looking at this again. Perhaps the "death of the diesel" is slightly overstating but there is no doubt these type of fuelled cars are definitely in decline as evidenced by falling sales and declining second hand values. As many users have found out too, the real life fuel economy bears little resemblance to the official figures. Peugeot now publish real life figures on their website. A typical petrol returns 44mpg vs 56mpg official and a typical diesel 53mpg vs 88mpg official.

Quote Originally Posted by fwipperie View Post
    Petrol is now cheaper than diesel again. Co2 often very close. In real life driving diesel no as good.

Depends on what vehicle and say for example it's weight eg if you had an x5 petrol it would be a lot thirster than a diesel as diesel have more torque to cope with the weight and lower co2 emissions as well

it doesn't matter what the propulsion system is, the Government of all political parties will use it to eek out more tax.
    Petrol was classed as polluting, so people were encouraged to buy Diesels, with tax breaks, lower fuel costs etc, until sufficient percentage were on that fuel, then its a polluting fuel and taxes rise, fuel costs rise and now Battery power is what we are being encouraged to buy with yes, tax breaks, low fuel costs. you can see the same cycle happening again.

Quote Originally Posted by warkman View Post
    it doesn't matter what the propulsion system is, the Government of all political parties will use it to eek out more tax.
    Petrol was classed as polluting, so people were encouraged to buy Diesels, with tax breaks, lower fuel costs etc, until sufficient percentage were on that fuel, then its a polluting fuel and taxes rise, fuel costs rise and now Battery power is what we are being encouraged to buy with yes, tax breaks, low fuel costs. you can see the same cycle happening again.
    There is a tendency for taxation of certain key products in a disproportionate way. This can feel unjust and cause upset too.