Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VW. Tip ofthe iceberg? Death knell for diesels?

VW. Tip ofthe iceberg? Death knell for diesels?

Very bad news. This may mark a shift to petrol and huge fines for many car manufacturers.

I dont think so dont forget the whole thing is in America and lets be honest America and vehicle emissions on their v8's yeah right!!!! I think their will still be a case for diesels in the coming years as MPG wise petrols arent quite their yet both in terms of range and just driving eventually might be phased out but then it will be probably be more petrol hybrids.

Like Shorty has said this is more of an American thing and VW being a European company the American will take great pleasure crucifying VW while letting their home brew manufacturers get away with murder much was the same with BP in the Gulf of Mexico a few years ago as if it were an American oil company who had the accident it would have been swept under the carpet before the tide had gone out.

As for the EU the VW TDI’s in the EU probably meet the EU regulation anyway but besides that as VW is a German company and Germany run the EU I expect the Germans to do as the American do.

I don't think so. The issue is not whether diesels are good or bad but rather the fact that a manufacturer deliberately fixed the test and simultaneously misled both their customers and the U.S. Authorities. In fact they have broken U.S law. It is unclear as to whether VW have used the same technology in Europe, but they have said the issue involves 11 millions vehicles, we know the authorities in the U.S have ordered a recall on 500,000.

The EU has been a promoter of diesels, across the whole of the EU diesels out sell petrol by a significant margin. The EU focus has been on lowering CO2 emissions but has tended to ignore NOx up until recently. The focus may now change.

I believe VW is now is a very difficult position and is going to be hit very hard, probably by a number of countries. They have been caught red handed after all. The fines will run into billions.

I believe that this issue will lead to a review and a new testing regime being introduced. There will also be a tightening of rules on emissions generally, and perhaps some consistency. Other manufacturers have 'clean' diesel engines so the technology is there. Perhaps the cost of diesel cars will increase however.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Quote Originally Posted by vantage View Post
    I don't think so. The issue is not whether diesels are good or bad but rather the fact that a manufacturer deliberately fixed the test and simultaneously misled both their customers and the U.S. Authorities. In fact they have broken U.S law. It is unclear as to whether VW have used the same technology in Europe, but they have said the issue involves 11 millions vehicles, we know the authorities in the U.S have ordered a recall on 500,000.

The EU has been a promoter of diesels, across the whole of the EU diesels out sell petrol by a significant margin. The EU focus has been on lowering CO2 emissions but has tended to ignore NOx up until recently. The focus may now change.

I believe VW is now is a very difficult position and is going to be hit very hard, probably by a number of countries. They have been caught red handed after all. The fines will run into billions.

I believe that this issue will lead to a review and a new testing regime being introduced. There will also be a tightening of rules on emissions generally, and perhaps some consistency. Other manufacturers have 'clean' diesel engines so the technology is there. Perhaps the cost of diesel cars will increase however.
    I wonder if VW will go bust and perhaps taken over by uk company

I believe that the emissions software could tell when it was attached to an 'emmissions testing machine' and then gave out a low false emmissions report to pass the test - basically cheating.

It will cost billions, the share price dropped and the CEO rightly resigned.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    I believe that the emissions software could tell when it was attached to an 'emmissions testing machine' and then gave out a low false emmissions report to pass the test - basically cheating.

It will cost billions, the share price dropped and the CEO rightly resigned.
    Is this the end for VW? They desperately need othrr manufacturers to be implicated too.

Quote Originally Posted by fwipperie View Post
    Is this the end for VW? They desperately need othrr manufacturers to be implicated too.
    I think you are right that VW will be hoping that others are implicated. However, I'm sure this won't be the end of VW, although they won't keep the title of worlds largest car manufacturer for long. No doubt their profits will slide as fines and reduced sales hit. Maybe they'll sell one of their other brands; Porsche, Bentley or Lamborghinni perhaps! Perhaps they'll focus on the other main brands, such as Seat, Audi and Skoda?

Trouble is the knock effect is the prospect of jobs losses at some of their plants, perhaps at Wolfsburg in Germany which is basically run by VW.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Quote Originally Posted by fwipperie View Post
    It won't be the end of VW. The trouble is their company 'Voltswagon. means 'the peoples' vehicle'. Their 'Brand' has now been tarnished due to cheating.

It's a Public Relations disaster. How will people every trust what they say again. They've made a start by getting rid of the CEO but they'll need to clean their act up and lop a few more heads.

Investors won't want to be associated with them so the value of the company will drop.

It will take 4 or 5 years to recover financially and their reputation will be scared for many years to come.
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 23-09-15 at 21:40.

Quote Originally Posted by vantage View Post

So they say.

I thought I had something more to say but just wrote this because my post was too short to post, I scratch my head.