Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice about inheritance

Angry Need advice about inheritance

hi I've just joined this site. I'm after some advice please. My boyfriend is due an inheritance from his his Fathers Auntie. She was elderly and died last October. My boyfriends Dad was also due an inheritance from her but sadly he also died last October. My boyfriends Dads cousin is executor of the ladies will but we've only met her once at the Old ladies funeral last year. Her, her sister & my boyfriend are the only people in the will. There was a property to sell, shares involved and a lot of money. We never hear anything about the progress without messaging her. Is it normal to take this long please? She's told us she's waiting for shares to sell and the stonemason to sort the headstone out. As a couple of months ago she said it would be sorted but now we've had no reply to messages. We have no idea who the solicitors are and have never been contacted by them. They live miles away in a different area. We have no address only a mobile number. What can we do is there anyway we could resolve this matter as the longer we leave it, it may be too late. Please help we've never been in a situation like this before and don't know where to start. Would be very grateful for some help or advice. Thanks in advance ????

Probate would have to have been granted so go to the probate office for starters.

If probate has been granted you should be able to get a copy. Might be worth having a look at this:

https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inh...robate-records
    Caring is an art not a science

It does take a long time. Wills, probate, power of attorney etc all drags on. WRITE to the executor of the will and ask for progress. The solicitors will be communicating with the Executor and only with the beneficiary when its all sorted. It cannot be "too late". If people are named in the Will, they WILL be contacted. RING the mobile number and ASK for an address. All communication should be written as then there IS a record.

With my parents will as they had family members as the executioners it was sorted pretty soon.
    I notice there is a property to sell - has it been sold or still on the market as I doubt anything can be done until it has.
    Stonemasons can also be long winded in sending out invoices for payment.
    Sea Queen

I hope you get sorted but these things can be very long winded and goon for what seems ages.

Just a question that someone might be able to answer for me.I doesn't concern me but a lady I used to shop for and visit 3/4 times everyday.She only lived 43 steps across the garage site from me an I was sometimes her only visitor all week.
    Well my little old lady had to go into a care home because she became ill and wasn't able to look after herself.Her husband left her very well off so there wouldn't of being any need to sell her house.Now I know she did change her will about 4 months before she was taken poorly and the only thing I know is that she changed who she was going to leave the house to.Now what I'm wondering is her daughter(she has power of atterny) sold the house after my little old lady had been in the care home for about 9 months.Was she allowed to do this and when god forbid anything happens to my little old lady and the wills read and the house isn't there for the person it's left to what will happen.The daughter hadn't spoke to her mum for over a year and I kept her up to date with how her mum was.My little old lady did give her daughter a large some of money for a deposit on a house even though they were'nt speakingMy little old .changed her will when she got fed up of her grandson thinking she was a bank.

Apologies to you Sea Queen but I couldn't help smiling at your posting in which you said that you had family members as EXECUTIONERS! No wonder it was all sorted out quickly!
    Caring is an art not a science

Quote Originally Posted by mcclonk View Post
    Apologies to you Sea Queen but I couldn't help smiling at your posting in which you said that you had family members as EXECUTIONERS! No wonder it was all sorted out quickly!
    My oh my so I did. Given me a right chuckle mcclonk

I think I will just leave it, it may also give others a smile as well.
    Sea Queen

If some of the estate has been converted to cash but waiting for one last asset to be sold should not prevent an inital distribution. When my mother in law was a beneficiary in a complex estate, she had the payment in three or four parts.

Quote Originally Posted by barbiejane View Post
    I hope you get sorted but these things can be very long winded and goon for what seems ages.

Just a question that someone might be able to answer for me.I doesn't concern me but a lady I used to shop for and visit 3/4 times everyday.She only lived 43 steps across the garage site from me an I was sometimes her only visitor all week.
    Well my little old lady had to go into a care home because she became ill and wasn't able to look after herself.Her husband left her very well off so there wouldn't of being any need to sell her house.Now I know she did change her will about 4 months before she was taken poorly and the only thing I know is that she changed who she was going to leave the house to.Now what I'm wondering is her daughter(she has power of atterny) sold the house after my little old lady had been in the care home for about 9 months.Was she allowed to do this and when god forbid anything happens to my little old lady and the wills read and the house isn't there for the person it's left to what will happen.The daughter hadn't spoke to her mum for over a year and I kept her up to date with how her mum was.My little old lady did give her daughter a large some of money for a deposit on a house even though they were'nt speakingMy little old .changed her will when she got fed up of her grandson thinking she was a bank.

Short answer to this is Yes. Once a person goes into a care home, they are not coming out, usually. They have been deemed not able to cope on their own or needing constant medical care. At this point POA is usually enacted, cuz the bills still have to be paid and her care has to paid for. The house is empty and its better off being sold.
    Lest I sound a bit callous - this happened to my mom in March. The drs said she had 4 weeks...well she proved em wrong but she is never going to be well enough to care/live outside the nursing home.
    FYI we are STILL waiting on POA, due to cock up with the solicitors its dragging on and on........
    Last edited by reddivine; 18-09-15 at 16:31. Reason: update