Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1st Car Accident since 2014! - help needed

Lightbulb My 1st Car Accident since 2014! - help needed

And I wasn't even there to witness it!

I returned to my car at lunchtime on Friday to find a crowd of smokers standing by my car and another car, pointing at me (they knew me) as I approached them.
    My car is parked in the disabled bays at work which just so happens be by the smoking shelter, it appears that the gentleman in the other vehicle decided to drive over to this car park, parked in the spot next to mine to have a quick smoke before dashing off to a GP appointment.

Unfortunately as he reversed our of the space he swiped the front corner of my car taking off a layer of paint with it - on his car he took out the whole of his passenger door and rear quarter panel!
    His car was a 15 year old Renault Megane Convertible and so didn't have any rigidity to it, my car apparently is built with girders, as it didn't even rock enough to set off my dash cam!

As I work on a secure Aerospace site we aren't allowed to take photographs and so I couldn't take a photograph of the scene - much to my annoyance!

As the "gentleman" works on site and he was in a state of shock he said he would sort it out with me on Monday - I took his registration number, I couldn't take any other details as I didn't have anything else on me, I'd only gone downstairs to go to the loo, I didn't even have my car keys!
    I do have witnesses though which helps matters along.

I was going to post this on Saturday but my disability took over and I ended up in bed all day, but my question (for a change) is should I go down the RSAM route or let him pay for the repairs?

I'm inclined to go for RSAM, i'm a bit peeved that my no claims record will disappear through no fault of my own, and i'll lose £75 that I can ill afford to lose right now, but that seems like the best thing to do in the long run - the car is only 6 weeks old after all.

The damage is 8 or 9 marks down to white undercoat (or even body in white), no dents at all, all on the front bumper.

What do you guys (& gals) think I should do?

Regards, Paul
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Hi Paul

If he admits liability, then you shouldnt have to pay the £75. His insurance company should pay out.

Under these circumstances with witnesses and an admission of liability from the other driver I would think that RSA would handle this through the other drivers insurance. When contacting them I would insist that they do this. I am aware that many insurance companies try to handle cases on a knock for knock basis and then leave it up to the 'innocent' party to claim back any uninsured loss and to re-establish a claim free history as a separate exercise. It might take longer to sort it all out but, in the long run, it leaves you with a blemish free record which is as it should be.

You have my sympathy by the way it is most upsetting when this sort of thing happens.
    Caring is an art not a science

He's going to go through his insurance anyway so go through RSA as a 'not my fault incident'

I has something like this happen to me. When I was in the office a car reversed into my passenger door crunpling the door. I got in the car half a day later and found a piece of paper under the window wiper. It was from three witnesses who say the driver after hearing the crash. He got out, inspected the damage, got back in the car and drove off - later I found out he was a solicitor!! He didn't know that he had been seen from two floors above in an office block/

In the end it came to pass that the police wanted to prosecute him as he claimed I damaged his car - the cheek!

I even had to attend court where he was found guilty of trying to perverse the court of justice as well as motoring offences - they threw the book at him as he tried to wriggle out of it.

Be warned as this guy could say it wasn't his fault and nobody could prove otherwise. Then you risk having an 'open case' that lies on your files to the day you die and goes against you.

Thanks for all your help - I just submitted a claim online using RSAM's claim form https://www.motability.rsagroup.co.u...orm_claims.asp - a word of warning though it doesn't like Chrome!

I did a quick check on my friend, and it appears I know the reason for his shaky demeanour! - It wasn't just the shock of the accident, it was the fact he brought his car onto our secure military base without an MoT, which means he wasn't insured - the b******d!

What happens now, anyone been in that situation?
    Motability Car History
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Paul,

Not having paid Vehicle Excise Duty does not always invalidate insurance.

In any case your collision occurred on private land (ie land not open to the general public Ė as MOD bases, private factories etc are classed. (The test being whether or not the land is open to the general public to enter, which your situation it certainly isnít. It is the same as the MOD base I work on). Therefore the fact he didnít have VED (Road Tax) at the time is irrelevant as it is not required to drive on private lands.

Just make sure that the fact it is private land is pointed out to your insurers.

Stu

Hi Stu,

You've misread, he did have VED which runs out 1st December but his MoT ran out 15th June!
    So driving on site without a valid MoT certificate is an offence, I'm just working out who I report him to on site - and find out how I circumvent data protection to get his name & address details from his car registration number.

I have to point out the private land to insurers as I couldn't take photos for that fact - I'm sure you would have similar problems?
    Motability Car History

Well, one thing that won't happen - the other insurance company paying your repair bill.

To save hassle and stress just visit a small respray shop and book it in and pay privately. It may set you back £100 with no courtesy car - will be done in a day.

If you want to sue him for damages go through the small claims court using free legal aid on your house insurance. If you have witnesses it will be in your favour - without them forget it.

Him not having insurance is amazing as our roads are full of cameras with vehicle number recognition that would show whether they have tax tax. If no car tax you can be sure there's no insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Hi Stu,

You've misread, he did have VED which runs out 1st December but his MoT ran out 15th June!
    So driving on site without a valid MoT certificate is an offence, I'm just working out who I report him to on site - and find out how I circumvent data protection to get his name & address details from his car registration number.

I have to point out the private land to insurers as I couldn't take photos for that fact - I'm sure you would have similar problems?
    Hi Paul,

Yes, I usually deal with the aftermath of these sort of things, when people claim against the MOD, or when the MOD claims against a drivers insurance, for example if a driver accidentally knocks down a wall on an MOD base.

However, again as with the VED, no MOT is required to drive around on what is private land to which the public do not have entry. They need an MOT Certificate to drive onto the land off the highway and again off the boundary of the private land onto the highway but not whilst actually driving on the private land. There maybe a contractual requirement, or 'Routine Order' saying that vehicles must have an MOT, VED etc to drive on the land, but these are not enforcable in a court (In MOD parlance it would be a breach of routine orders, or breach of a contractual condition). However the requirments of Road Traffic Act does not apply and his insurance will still be valid, so will pay out.

As long as you make your insurers aware it was on private land and you are claiming against another drvier who also had access to the private land, they should deal with it. They do it all the time for accidents on MOD property (which is the same as your works, ie private property to which the public do not have access) so it is nothing new to them.

Stu
    Last edited by razorback; 08-09-15 at 11:27.

Paul,

Just to further add, if you know who the person is, you could report it to his/her management, usually via your own management even if it is for example a third party contractor. As I said above, it maybe a contractual requirement that staff have MOT/VED etc in order to drive their private cars whilst on the actual site. Whoever runs the site will of course have the ultimate authority to say who can and cannot fetch their vehicles onto the site, so could in effect bar the person from fetching his vehicle onto the site until his documentation is in order.

Stu