Thread: Need Help Deciding on New Wheelchair

Need Help Deciding on New Wheelchair

Hey guys,

So I'm about due a new chair as my old one (RGK Maxima) is 15 years old! The thing is, I'm having trouble deciding...

Do I want a Quickie Helium or an RGK Tiga? Weight is a huge issue for me - the lighter the better.

Has anyone had any experiences with either of these two chairs? Which would YOU choose and why?

Thanks!

xx

Well, I can give you some advice based on my experience.

If you are looking for a very light wheelchair that's as firm as a 'rigid' manual wheelchair but can fold using one hand - go for the Quickie Xenon SA.

Funding. Get an assessment by your local wheelchair service but say you want to buy your own. That way they will give you a wheelchair voucher worth £475 or there about. They will give you a list of approved private suppliers you can use to get another assessment and be measured for your custom built wheelchair.

Before I tell you how to obtain funding tell us a bit about yourself so I can narrow down which charity you must approach to possibly fund all or part of the wheelchair cost.

Tell us your age, are you working, a student or unemployed.
    Which benefits do you get.
    Which area do you live in.
    How would this new wheelchair improve your lifestyle.
    What would you be able to do that you couldn't before.

There's a new version due out this month . . . http://xenon2.sunrisemedical.eu/en

Hey thanks for the reply!

I'm not really looking for a folding chair as I don't drive and don't really need to store it anywhere. A folding backrest and quick release wheels would be perfect for me I feel.

As for getting assessed, I was assessed last Tuesday (1st Sept) and they're trying to give me a Quickie Life R. Don't get me wrong, and I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I didn't like it that much. It was comfortable - more so than my current one - but the frame felt heavier and looked a lot more complicated. Everything can be adjusted. That means more moving parts, more places for it to go wrong.

I'm 29 - unemployed. Though not through lack of trying - I get JSA and DLA/PIP - I live in Hertfordshire

I have Cerebral Palsy and although I can walk a bit, that is slowly deteriorating. Forget going out in public without my chair. Getting a new chair would mean I would be much more comfortable in my day to day life and make the transition from being able to walk (like a drunk penguin) to not being able to much more manageable.

It looks quite trendy. The wheelchair you've been offered is quite trendy if supplied by NHS.

The big advantage of getting the wheelchair from the assessment centre .

As it's for a medical need it's free.
    You won't have to pay for it.
    It will be serviced free of charge once a year.
    I think they also take out insurance against damage.
    The chair can be changed every five years through the assessment
    Centre.

It's a bit late will follow up later

Karma ergo is very lite - 6kg. But i don't self propel so RGK might be better for you???

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Hey guys,

So I'm about due a new chair as my old one (RGK Maxima) is 15 years old! The thing is, I'm having trouble deciding...

Do I want a Quickie Helium or an RGK Tiga? Weight is a huge issue for me - the lighter the better.

Has anyone had any experiences with either of these two chairs? Which would YOU choose and why?

Thanks!

xx

Hi

RGK chairs are good (mines 5 years old cost £5k through access to work as at the time I was working) but the parts are stupidly expensive (like £120 odd quid for a pair of front wheels and bearings) so id consider others. Personally when my chair is completely knackered ill be looking for one that folds as trying to get my chair into most cars complete except mpv is a nightmare doesnt even fit in many large estates and not even in the bmw gran tourer boot. Good luck with your choice anyway

The Quickie Xenon SA claims to be the lightest folding wheelchair in the world at 8.8kg so I'd go with the Karma weighing in at 6kg which Reddivin recommends if lightness is king.

Super Moderator
    Hi Sharkie

You could also take a look at the following suppliers of lighter-weight rigid wheelchairs:

http://www.dlf-data.org.uk/report_it...03e49eb03&view

Kind regards
    DLF Team