Thread: Lack of supporting evidence going to be an issue?

Lack of supporting evidence going to be an issue?

Hi All.. glad I found this forum, as its a great resource for learning about PIP and peoples experiences with the process, although it is revealing a lot of the flaws in the assessment system which is having awful affects on peoples lives!

Im still awaiting the "invite" to apply for PIP, and, like most am very anxious about the whole process and inevitably, its potential outcome, as Ive been on DLA (lower rate mobility, middle rate care) for 25 years and have become to rely on the benefits I gain from being able to financially support my mobility, care and independence. Im particularly concerned around a couple of areas; lack of supporting evidence, and the network of family, friends and helpers that I use for my care and mobility needs. Im partially sighted, and have no central vision (L 6/95, R 6/48), my left eye is all but useless, and I rely on peripheral vision in my right eye and do face daily challenges with regards to both care and mobility.

Im worried that due to the lack of supporting evidence, either from GP's, healthcare workers, or other support services, my application for PIP will suffer. Due to the network of friends and family I have that assist me, Ive never really had to contact local support services for assistance. Ive simply learnt to adapt over the years, and know what my limitations are, and avoid scenarios that I would be fearful of.

Although I do have this support network, my DLA does go towards maintaining it, as I cant expect even friends and family to donate their time and any other resources they use. I do also employ helpers to assist with my domestic needs, as well as mobility outside of the home, along with the usual costs associated with getting about, taxis... etc. I don't use a cane, as I don't feel I can navigate safely on my own, even in familiar surroundings as you cant take into account changing environmental factors.

So, I feel its basically going to be down to how I explain my day to day activities, what help I need, and how this could suffer if I didn't get the financial support that maintains my support network. I cant help but think the Panel are simply going to see the fact that I have no supporting evidence from third parties, and also that I shouldn't need financial support to get help from my friends and family, as a reason to not award me anything.

Hi

The thing to bear in mind is that PIP decisions are based on how your disability affects you in doing the ctivities on the questionnaire and that is where you need to focus your efforts into giving them a clear picture of the difficulties you face. The decision takes no account of what you would be spending the money on, but simply on whether you have a sufficient disability to qualify for the benefit. If you can get a letter from your GP at least confirming your diagnosis, or ask for your medical records which will include any reports or letters from consultants from the past that may help. There is a fee for this, between £10 and £50 depending on how much there is.