Thread: CHANNEL 4s - LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

Lightbulb CHANNEL 4s - LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

Good afternoon!

Kirstie Allsopp and Phil Spencer are busy filming a new series of Location Location Location.

Buying a house is a difficult process at the best of times but coupled with the added pressure of searching for an adaptable or accessible home to accommodate wheelchair users the task can be even more daunting.

If you would like help in your search for a new home, please apply here www.channel4.com/programmes/take-part or call 0141 353 8410. Alternatively you can email me harriette.arthur@iwcmedia.co.uk
    Attached Images

Lest C4 think we are not bovvered. I DID email Harriette - but making the point that many of us long-term sick/disabled have never been in a financial position to BUY. I and partner have been looking for a place to rent for FOUR YEARS.
    How about a prog on the lack of rented property being built??

You're quite right Red

We moved into a bungalow almost 3 years ago, while it's in a decent neighbourhood it has many shortcomings for my physical disabilities and my Autistic sons sensory needs. The housing association won't fund any changes and the county council are likewise cash strapped, the occupational therapist agreed I need a wet room but the bathroom is small, not even room for a bath just a walk-in shower about 5x4feet but there's no money to pay for it.

The other problem is the noise, when the shower is on it has a drain pump (as it's at ground level) which runs at full speed (no control unit apparently) and my son hates the noise, it's hard enough getting him to shower (as he hates the feel of water spraying on him) without the added noise problem.

If we'd stayed in the 3 bed semi we were previously in I could have lived mostly downstairs but the area wasn't good for him, too many druggies and chavs about.

Many new homes are built tp Part M of building regulations. In general Councils don't build new social housing but Housing Associations do.

If the Council wants to sell land then contractors must enter a bid. The good thing is some Local Authorities issue a tendering brief that can stipulate that 'Homes for Life must be built on the land.

These buildings are future proof as they already have designed into them

- lightswitches and plug sockets accessible by wheelchair
    - built in props above the bathroom ceiling to take a hoist.
    - staircases wide enough to take a stairlift
    - doors wide enough to take a wheelchair
    - space to accommodate a through-lift
    - level access to the entry

The only thing is that these 'accessible' homes have never been put on an individual database so it's difficult to know which homes have access built-in.