Thread: LHA/Housing allowance - Discretionary Housing Payments Stopped

LHA/Housing allowance - Discretionary Housing Payments Stopped

Hi,

I was forced to move from my previous address in December 2013 due to the bedroom tax and being unable to meet my rent. I was previously guardian to my younger brother, but then he went on to university and I lost tax credits and the extra person in my 2 bedroom house, so I had to give it up and move to a one bedroom.

I was homeless for a month, but I stayed with my mother, so I was deemed not homeless in terms of 'section 5' and was consequently not eligible for homeless rehousing. I signed up to 14 different housing authorities and was forced to move in to a private let. The cheapest I could find was a £390 per month one bedroom. I live in Glasgow - the rent prices are generally £400-£450+ per month, so this is below average.

I received discretionary housing allowance due to having multiple sclerosis. The flat I'm in is 3 floors up and unsuitable due to my mobility problems. I'm on housing lists with medical priority for this reason.

Discretionary housing allowance came to an end in June and I reapply but was rejected. I was paid £260 in July and have been fighting with Glasgow Council since, having no other way of making up the rent shortfall.

I was told DHP is discretionary and there is no right to appeal.

I was told that, despite what I have previously been informed, my PIP at standard rate mobility (£89 per month) should be used to meet the gap in my rent. I was of the impression that PIP/DLA payments were to be discounted from income and expenditure due to its purpose of helping meet the costs of having a disability. Again, I was told there was no way to challenge this with the current structure. I was told by Glasgow council that they factor in all income, including PIP, and the government guidelines for ignoring PIP was just that - guidelines and not regulation or statute.

I'm now at a loss. I'm still fighting to get into the ESA Support group and was rejected by tribunal for any increase to my PIP - so I receive £200 a fortnight in ESA and £89 per month PIP. My total income is therefore £480 per month and I receive no further assistance.

I would appreciate your help.

Unfortunately the Discretionary Housing Payments are just that - Discretionary.

They are usually only granted for a limited time to help the applicant through a particular difficulty.
    There is a limited fund at the councils disposal and they have to share it out as they see fit.
    If you are not sucessful in your application there is no appeal.

It seems a bit odd in your post that you do not mention Housing Benefit, have you claimed this?
    As a single person in private accomodation you would be claiming the 'Shared Accommodation' rate.
    The 'Shared Accommodation' rate in Glasgow is £68.28 a week.
    This would mean you still had to find about £22 a week to meet your rent of £390/month.
    https://glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4189

You also do not mention claiming a Council Tax Reduction, have you claimed this?
    If you are living in a HMO (1 room in a shared house) then you probably don't pay Council Tax, the landlord will be liable.

Take a look at this webpage from Glasgow Council.
    https://glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3834

There is a HB/CTR benefit calculator there, put your details into that.
    (It doesn't need your name or address at this stage, just what you have coming in and what your rent is).
    If you are entitled to any HB or CTR it will tell you at the end, and then has a button to click so that you can make your claim online.
    Last edited by nukecad; 12-08-15 at 09:43.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Unfortunately the Discretionary Housing Payments are just that - Discretionary.

They are usually only granted for a limited time to help the applicant through a particular difficulty.
    There is a limited fund at the councils disposal and they have to share it out as they see fit.
    If you are not sucessful in your application there is no appeal.

It seems a bit odd in your post that you do not mention Housing Benefit, have you claimed this?
    As a single person in private accomodation you would be claiming the 'Shared Accommodation' rate.
    The 'Shared Accommodation' rate in Glasgow is £68.28 a week.
    This would mean you still had to find about £22 a week to meet your rent of £390/month.
    https://glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4189

You also do not mention claiming a Council Tax Reduction, have you claimed this?
    If you are living in a HMO (1 room in a shared house) then you probably don't pay Council Tax, the landlord will be liable.

Take a look at this webpage from Glasgow Council.
    https://glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3834

There is a HB/CTR benefit calculator there, put your details into that.
    (It doesn't need your name or address at this stage, just what you have coming in and what your rent is).
    If you are entitled to any HB or CTR it will tell you at the end, and then has a button to click so that you can make your claim online.
    Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

I should have been clearer. I do receive housing benefit/council tax benefit. I pay £21 per month towards Ctax - the rest is covered by the benefit. I receive the amount you stated for housing benefit under Local Housing Allowance rules, but it leaves me with a deficit each month which I have to make up, hence the application to Discretionary Housing Payments.

It's very difficult, if at all possible, to get a shared property in Glasgow; especially when I have a disability which makes me unsociable in terms of my irregular sleeping hours, mood problems and pain etc. Therefore I'm in a 1 bedroom/studio flat.

So if I've got this right you are getting £102.15 ESA WRAG + £21.80 PIP (standard mobility?) = £123.95 a week?

You also get get £68.85 Housing Benefit + some Council Tax Relief.

Which leaves you to find weekly housing costs of £21.75 rent + £4.85 council tax = £26.60

£123.95 - £26.60 leaves you £97.35 a week for your other bills and expenses.

Yes its tough to manage on this.

If you could get into support group, or get an increased PIP award that would obviously help.
    (Be careful not to loose your PIP though if you try for a change of circumstances).

Meaning no disrespect here, your situation is not that unusual and no worse than a lot of others find ourselves in.
    We just have to tighten our belts and manage as best we can.

If you would like my situation to compare:
    I have 1 room in a shared house (share bathroom and kitchen with 2 others, actually 2 Glasgow lads).
    I get HB shared rate that is paid direct to the landlord and just covers my rent.
    I don't pay council tax, the landlord is liable for that.
    I too get ESA WRAG £102.15 - £12.12 (budget loan repayment) = £90.03 a week for my other bills and expenses.
    (No PIP, DLA, or anything else).
    So not much different from yourself, although probably my gas, electric, and water bills are lower because they are split 3 ways.

As I say; it's tough but I just about manage OK.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

although it used to be up to each individual borough whether or not to include your pip,or dla there was a recent ruling saying they can no longer take the care component into effect
    If I get the chance to dig out the paperwork over the next few days I will, bit unwell at present

The 'good' news is that if you are awarded the daily living component of PIP this will make you eligible for the one bed rate of local housing allowance.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...u_are_under_35

Also you might be eligible for the Severe Disability Premium which is an extra amount paid with your ESA.

Fingers crossed eh?
    Last edited by pmlindyloo; 12-08-15 at 17:31.

tallit
    Quote Originally Posted by deebee View Post
    although it used to be up to each individual borough whether or not to include your pip,or dla there was a recent ruling saying they can no longer take the care component into effect
    If I get the chance to dig out the paperwork over the next few days I will, bit unwell at present
    That doesn't affect them. They only get the standard rate of MOBILITY - no care award has been given.

Quote Originally Posted by tallit View Post
    That doesn't affect them. They only get the standard rate of MOBILITY - no care award has been given.
    That's correct. I received 6 points for daily living which entitles me to nothing. My initial award was upheld at tribunal but no additional points awarded.