Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car hire with hand controls?

Car hire with hand controls?

Anyone hired a car with adaptations? I note from looking on the internet that most of the major car hire companies can provide a car with hand controls and I also notice a company that seems to do only adapted car hire. I'm just speculating at the moment but can anyone recommend a car hire company they have used or know to be competitively priced?

Call RSA and ask for the company they use, I received a car with hand controls of the one they use, they also deliver and pick up, sorry I cannot remember the name

**enterprise** they use a 3rd party disabled car company best to call them

Catlover, how about phoning the local installer of hand controls and find out which rental companies are that forward thinking.

http://www.jeffgosling.co.uk

I'm going to see the guy next week, at some stage, to be assessed for a steering wheel knob with indicator buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by catlover View Post
    Anyone hired a car with adaptations? I note from looking on the internet that most of the major car hire companies can provide a car with hand controls and I also notice a company that seems to do only adapted car hire. I'm just speculating at the moment but can anyone recommend a car hire company they have used or know to be competitively priced?
    Hi

Ive used adaptive vehicle hire in the past superb company as generally speaking yes hire companies provide hand controls but they arent linked into the steering column so I find them very hard so yes google adaptive vehicle hire

I've used Lynx hand controls when on a hire car when my car was repaired last year. They fit in half an hour and can be installed easily.

These look like belt and braces of the adatations club.

I ordered something to aid using indicators using my right hand. They guaranteed it would work with my vehicle. What they didn't tell me was that they would send the bare minimum of kit but expect me to mould rods of iron around the steering wheel.

It was a cheap solution but an expensive mistake buying the basics as they were never used!

http://www.lynxcontrols.com/handcont/default.htm

Lynx controls are only meant to be temporary though. I didn't like them that much, but for a short period I had to use them. They take a bit of time to get used to them. I have Jeff Gosling hand controls for my current car and they are great.

I did notice that most seem to use lynx temporary hand controls which I didn't like the look of, especially as I am used to more fixed hand controls. It didn't look like it would be easy (or even possible) to anchor the push/pull lever by resting the thumb of that hand on the steering wheel.

I did stumble upon adaptive vehicle hire - do they use more permanent hand controls? They seemed awfully expensive.

Hi

Yes ive had a few cars from them though motability in the past they do use permanent fixed hand controls not the temporary ones that others have mentioned not cheap but a very good service.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Hi

Yes ive had a few cars from them though motability in the past they do use permanent fixed hand controls not the temporary ones that others have mentioned not cheap but a very good service.
    As a short term solution I find the Lynx controls perfectly acceptable as they offer freedom that you otherwise wouldn't get. I can fit them in less than ten minutes (less if they have been fitted to the same sort of car previously) and remove in less than two.