Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Council assessment for Council tax reduction

Council assessment for Council tax reduction

We were advised that we may qualify for a reduction in our Council tax due to my being disabled and having adaptations done in out bungalow.

My partner works full time and is also my carer. I am in receipt of ESA SG and enhanced rates of both PIP components.

Our bungalow has ramps, grab rails, wet room etc due to my mobility issues.
    I mainly use a walking stick or zimmer indoors but also on occasion have to use my wheelchair.

We were advised that we may get a small reduction due to all the above, so put in a claim. (previously I had a 25% discount when living with my ex-husband, who also worked full time and I was on INCAP and full DLA, although the house had no adaptations. This was with a different council. ) We put in the claim several weeks ago, but it was worked out on Income and not on the above criteria. They then telephoned me to ask if I was disabled etc, (which was all on the form!) and sent another form out.

We had a call last week to arrange a visit by the Council to assess us. They are coming next Tuesday morning.

We do not expect a huge discount, but feel given the criteria on the forms, we may possible get a small % off our bill.

Has anyone else had experience of this?
    Any advice/insight would be welcome.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

The council came out to assess our house as I had my own bathroom geared up for me. We were dropped a band although if you are already in the lowest band you get a percentage reduction.
    Our council deviates from the general criteria of special bathroom or kitchen to include all disabled people. Not all do this and stick rigidly to the national recommendations.

My reduction was back dated from when I had the new bathroom installed. A neighbour of mine had his backdated for several years from the date he became disabled.

I hope you manage to get the reduction, best of luck.

Thanks for the info beau.

It sounds like your council is similar to what I had in Cornwall. Automatic discount for being disabled.

My present council seems to be the type that is sticking to national recommendations.

The thing I am worried about is that the wet room, ramps etc were already here when we moved in. We did get the property after medical assessment and they agreed that I needed all the adaptations. (the council guy said when he showed us the bungalow that it was lucky it was all done or it would have cost them a lot of money to put it all in for me).

So, now I am worried that they will say as the adaptations were already here that I do not qualify for reduction. Although I should still qualify for having to use a wheelchair in my home.

Oh, I don't know, best to wait and see what happens I suppose. If we don't get it, we re no worse off, so that's the best way to think.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

You need the wet room so I would think that will qualify you regardless of whether it was done before you occupied it.. You moved in because the bungalow was already adapted and suitable for you.

Thanks beau

I hope they see it the same way.

You'll get dropped a band for needing a room to store your scooter.

When I took my lodger in I lost my single person's discount of 25%.

Luckily I got it back after saying my lodger needs to be 'supervised to help me' or does stuff for me. And because she isn't relatred she is considered to be a 'disregarded person' so I keep the 25% discount. You have to be on the middle rate of care to benefit from it.

Lighttouch, I don't have a scooter. I have a wheelchair.

But I do have a wet room, ramps, grab rails etc. I would not be able to manage without these things. We do have a 2nd bedroom, used by my partner more than 50% of the time. (Also where the wheelchair is stored when not in use. )

We will just see what they say when they come out, but like I said, if we get turned down, then we are no worse off.

The other thing I need to get sorted is a referral to social services. I know you can self refer, but when I phoned them and told them about things I thought I needed, they said that I would need a referral from GP or similar.

It actually says on the back of the council tax bill that a reduction will be given if there is a bathroom or kitchen specifically for a disabled person's use.
    That is the recommended criteria that has to be met. I think BB's bungalow meets that criteria.

LT there is nowhere does it say about needing room for storage for a scooter.

Thanks again beau.

The storage thing confused me a bit, as I had never heard that before.

Well, it would seem that I would qualify on the wet room then. Hopefully that will be enough, then its a matter of whether they will backdate.

They should do from the date you moved in.
    As I said a neighbour got his backdated for several years, but then again that could just be our council.

Think LT does dream on a bit LOL
    Last edited by beau; 07-08-15 at 09:44.