Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Council assessment for Council tax reduction

Just a quick update.

We have just had our visit from the council. It was a very nice lady. She just asked a few questions about the wet room, wheelchair use etc. She asked for a brief outline of my illnesses/conditions, she said this was mainly to show that they are progressive/debilitating and will not improve.

She explained the criteria for qualifying, which applied to us, ie; the wet room and that I have to use my wheelchair indoors. She did not ask for any paperwork, even though I had it to hand just in case. She did not look round the bungalow at the wet room or anything, but I suppose that is all on their records anyway.

Now, she has to go back and put her report in to the Council Tax dept and we will hear from them in due course. It seemed a positive visit, so fingers crossed. I will let you all know when we hear.

Thanks to all for your input and advice.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Pretty positive there will be a good outcome for you.

Thanks beau.

The visit seemed to be about dotting the "i's" and crossing the "t's" to be honest.
    Just got to wait to hear now, which will be as long as that proverbial piece of string, lol.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quick update.

We had the letter last week. We have been awarded the discount and it has been backdated. Works out about £15 a month discount, not sure what % that is, my brain not working too well at the moment.

Thanks to everyone for advice/input.

Just need an answer to one more question please.

Do we have to re-apply every year for the discount or will it be done automatically from now on?

With my Council they just write to me and ask for a signature to confirm that nothing has changed.

This year I made a.complaint as it's wasting both my and Council Tax payers money for the admin to write a letter, use an envelope, pay a stamp to mail a letter requiring my signature as I had to buy envelopes, stamps and trudge to the post office to reply.

The Councik's 'transformation team' apologised and said they'd try to get iit accessible online next year

That does seem a waste of resources LT.

Its a bit like the visit we had. The LHA were the ones that did all the adaptations so they knew all about them, so seems a bit daft just coming out to confirm I had a wet room etc, but I suppose they have to check everything is still here. Plus, I suppose they like to see the applicant to make sure that things are as they claim.

I will wait and see what happens when we get the letter about next years Council Tax. It will show if they have already made the discount or not. If not, I will have to contact them.

We get a letter in about Jan/Feb. each year just asking if we are still eligible for the discount. Just need to sign and date the form and return it. No need to reapply.

So pleased that you got which is rightfully yours.

Thanks beau.

We were hopeful that we would get it, but you are never sure these days as Councils are all trying to save money and cut costs. Especially happy that they backdated as well. (this means the money saved will enable us to hopefully have a couple of days break later this year).

I will keep an eye out for the letter early next year, if we have not had it by mid Feb, I will ring them to clarify the situation.

Once again, thanks for all your help and advice guys.

LT nowhere does it say you need a room to store scooter or wheelie. Mine has to live in the cupboard. Another reason for having the Lightdrive. Adaptions to ingress/exit appears to hinge on whether you use wheelchair inside. Thats what OT said to me and why they won't put in flat access.....despite the woman seeing the obviously difficulty in taking a wheelchair out in 3 bits, backwards, over 2 doorframes....

I've had Council discount of one band for over 25 years - long before acquiring a wheelchair. In fact I was given the discount as the small bedroom had gym equipment in it.

The guy wo came to assess me questioned why he should give me discount. I said that the gym equipment kept me fit enough to go to work. And then I asked him how many disabled residents had he assessed who were working and paying full Council tax - he just signed the paperwork and gave the green light for discount.

It all depends on what is interpreted as being needed to aid your disability.