Thread: London

London

Hi. I am going to London tomorrow until Thursday for a short break with my family. We are going to watch Lion King at a theatre while we are there. Has anyone else been to London on a short break? What did you do while you were there?

Well as you can imagine there is plenty to do, much will depend on what you like and of course the weather.

Couple of things which you may be interested in include;
    1. A river cruise. Consider using one of the many river taxis unless you want a commentary. The taxis are accessible and fairly cheap.
    2. One or more museums. The British Museum, V&A, Museum of London, Imperial War Museum, Science Museum are all excellent.
    3. Spend a day in one of the parks. Greenwich Park and Maritime Museum is a good day out.
    4. Art gallery, Tate Modern perhaps. Nice walk around the South Bank area.
    5. The Shard, nice bit of lunch overlooking London.
    6. Borough Market, lots of nice stalls selling lovely things to eat etc.
    7. The Royal Mews and Gallery, although this isn't free it's worth a visit
    8. Covent Garden, bit of shopping, street entertainment and eating
    9. Bond in Motion, a 007 exhibition near Covent Garden. As a 007 fan I thought this was fantastic

Hope you have a great time.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Enjoy your day! Lots of good suggestions there from vantage

Depends whether you need wheelchair access, available and where in London. London Eye very good (and with proof of disability, you get in shorter queue)
    Transport For London https://tfl.gov.uk/ very useful.....for instance it says theres a tube strike!!!
    I've used buses in London with wheelchair OK tho.

went for a few days years ago. visited london eye, dungeons, big ben, the palace, camden town has some interesting shops. One of the people i was with had severe difficulties walking and had no problems accessing those places.

yes camden lovely , one of my fave days out, camden market, if you can cope with crowds it is lovely
    need to get myself better by 24th as I am due to take one of my grandaughters there for her b/day,,, I have already taken her brother and sister there this year separately, on there b/days, there is a stall that sells plain white bumper boots and the you choose a design from her many albums and she paint them for you while you wait
    with the other two , i bought them boots and took them for something to eat and then the spends ran out, but as my backdated ESA went in today I plan to treat myself to a pair as well this time

If you want something a bit different.

http://www.thegarret.org.uk

This was my favourite museum, near London Bridge.. Its still not fully accessible. DO see the website for details.. Not far off is Hays Galleria

http://www.discoverlondonbridge.co.u...68zzzbzzz.aspx

Anything near The River is usually fun.
    If you fancy venturing further North you can get a bus direct to Muswell Hill from London Bridge, and there your easy to get to Alexandra Palace, (which has a boating lake, ice rink, and amazing sights over the whole of London , and not far from where I live down the hill in Crouch End..

Camden, I'd say, not friendly for manual or power pack chairs.. Unless you've got something with a bit of beef.. It does get PACKED especially at weekends and DO watch out for pickpockets... Cos they like to pick a pocket or two ya know

Camden, I'd say, not friendly for manual or power pack chairs.. Unless you've got something with a bit of beef.. It does get PACKED especially at weekends and DO watch out for pickpockets... Cos they like to pick a pocket or two ya know
    I would add its only Camden Lock that has cobbles and its the crowds that make it a LEETLE tricksy in the market. Having said that, we did NOT get pickpocketed. I had a LOVELY time in Camden and I say go spend....but be a haggler. Theres always another stall selling the same but different!!

cant help you with what to do in London but I can recommend the Lion King.We went to London on a coach trip a many years ago to see it and it was AMAZING.At the time we were able to walk around and take in the sights and from what I can remember we went to Covent garden walked through Hyde park oh and we got caught up in the Country Side March that was happenening that day.I think we went around Buckingham palace as well because it was organised as part of the trip.
    Whatever you decide to do have a brill time.

After thought we went on the London Eye as well.

Thank you for your suggestions for what to do in London. Me and my family had a good time. I used my wheelchair while i was there. On the first day there we had a coffee in a cafe in Covent Garden. I got in free at Westminster Abbey. We looked around there. We also looked around the market stalls on Camden Market. It was a bit difficult with my wheelchair on the cobbles but we managed. My family pushed my wheelchair.
    On the second day (my mums birthday) we looked around an art gallery and we saw Buckingham Palace from outside its gates. Then we got a boat ride to Burroughs Market and we had a glass of wine somewhere. At night we had a meal in an Italian restaurant called Orso which was nice then later we went to see The Lion King at the Lyceum theater which was very good. On our last day, before we got our train home we had a coffee in a cafe in Covent Garden and watched some street entertainment. Then we looked around some market stalls in Camden market. We enjoyed our short break in London