I use a wheelchair or scooter and I work. I'm lucky, I'm well qualified, do a reasonably demanding job and manage a team of people. Today I had a day off, and a few things I wanted to get done - none of them difficult, an easy straightforward kind of day.

I was in a shop, buying a greetings card, so went to the till. The till lady congratulated me on my choice of card and told me I'd done very well to choose such a lovely card, counted my change out very slowly and carefully, reminding me I'd given her a fiver so she had to give me £3 change, checked if I wanted to buy anything else or if I needed any help with carrying my shopping (it was obviously a big bulky bag to carry with one card in it!!) then told me again she thought I was doing very well and people like me were inspirational to her! Imagine, I'm so good at buying a birthday card I've inspired someone. Who knew?

I had no idea what to say to her! not like me, one of my most patronised moments, ever! Don't have many, and generally find people are lovely. I know she meant to be kind.....