Thread: ESA won at tribunal into support group but the Dwp say not enough Ni has been paid

ESA won at tribunal into support group but the Dwp say not enough Ni has been paid

If anyone can offer information as to what happens from here, as I am confused as to why I had tribunal only to be told that I am not entitled. On top of this I have received esa3 form!!

The ESA form is to assess you for income based ESA.

Were you receiving contribution based ESA during your assessment?

You need 2 years of national insurance contributions prior to the start of your claim to get Contribution Based Support Group ESA.

That means that you get paid benefit regardless of your financial status although some income like pensions is taken into account and deductions made.

If you don't have enough NI contributions, then you can get Income Related Support Group ESA. This is for people with low incomes. You will have to fill in a very detailed form of your finances and you will only qualify for benefit if you meet the means testings they require.

You national insurance record would not have been checked prior to getting an award. The fact that you are in the support group now, if you end up with benefit or not, you will qualify for national insurance credits. You don't see the money but your NI record for this time in the support group will be full.

You national insurance contribution/credit records are important for claiming benefits and for claiming state pension when you reach age.

From the CAB website - it may be worth checking your NI record and getting some advice here

Contributory Employment and Support Allowance and national insurance contributions

The first contribution condition for contributory Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) is that you must have actually paid enough Class 1 or 2 national insurance contributions in at least one of the last two complete tax years before the year in which you claim. However, you may be able to satisfy this condition with contributions paid in any tax year in some circumstances - for example, because you were getting Carer’s Allowance or Incapacity Benefit, or if you were getting Working Tax Credit with a disability element before you became incapable of work.

The second condition is that you must either have paid or been credited with enough contributions for the last two complete tax years before the year you claim. However, credited contributions will not always count towards this condition.

The contribution conditions for ESA, and when they can be relaxed because of your circumstances, are complicated, so you may want to get advice. If you do not meet the contribution conditions for contributory ESA, you may still qualify for income-related ESA if your income and capital are low enough.

For more information about ESA, see Benefits for people who are sick or disabled.

If you are not sure about whether you meet the contribution conditions for contributory ESA, you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by email, click on nearest CAB.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...-and-benefits/

I was caught up in this stupid rule,they couldn't care less about the forty years I had payed just the 16 month I hadn't which was becausemy income had fell due to ill health . so for the sake of a few hundred pounds it has cost me 4 years esa support group money that I would have had .