Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: C4 C5 TV - Seemingly have a Campaign Against Benefits

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    I'm not watching any of em, but "dogs on the dole"......I mean, really????????????
    I don't watch then either but I was intrigued enough to actually catch a bit of that one, didn't watch it all

I expected something along the lines of "afford to keep a dog on benefits - we're obviously giving you too much".

From what I saw though it was more about the struggle to find vets fees, etc.
    More about the welfare of the doggies than about the owners.
    Of course mixed with a bit about irresponsible owners, so what? There are plenty of those in work too.

One interesting bit was about those who breed from their pedigree dogs to make a bit of money selling the pups.
    The impression given was that this is a semi-criminal activity if you live on a council estate and breed the dogs at home.
    Funny that as its a legitimate business if you live in a posh house and breed the dogs in an outbuilding.
    One standard for the rich another for the poor again?
    OK I suppose there are a few issues there as to whether the income from this breeding is declared.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

What i don't get is how fakers get away with it, i have medical proof for all mine tests which show no doubt if government want to cut back on benefits for sick/disabled then everyone that as no actual medical proof that they have real issues should be called in and a proper doc with a physio not nurse or paper pusher should examine them i know from physio that they can now do tests with how they move your leg and the feel if you have sciatica or have had it for long periods of time, i didn't tell the physio i saw that i'd had it and he knew and explained how so there are ways to establish certain back probs. I consider myself disabled not sick as sick makes me think its something that can be made better which mine only gets worse and on that program they kept saying sick not disabled. I remember when there was a difference between being unable to work due to disability and being unable to work through sickness. as i'm stuck in more and more cos i can't afford taxis etc i do get more peed off when i see people who seem to be able to get about ok getting a lot more than i do where as at one time it didnt as long as they had an illness. ok end of rant

Last night, CH5, I think, "undercover benefits cheat".

I don't know if anyone else watched? Basically it was about people who "work" the system and people who enable them to do so.

Given that the majority of us on here have had to jump through hoops, in some cases suffered bullying etc and people have taken their own lives because of what the system has done to them, I found it galling to watch. Because of people like this, and the channels that show this type of programme, it is the genuine ones that suffer.

The presenter did concede that most people on ESA, DLA, PIP etc are genuine, but why not show some of those people to offset the public view that we are all lazy scroungers? He was also quoting a figure for fraud, which changed by the end of the programme.

We all know that there are those that do play the system, and yes, some seem to do it with ease and suffer no guilt by doing so. But, please, lets have some programming that shows how the genuine ones have to fight for what they need.

Final thought, will the DWP chase these fraudsters? Will they bring prosecutions against the people who enable them to fleece the system by giving them fake doctors notes etc. Watch this space!!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblu64 View Post
    He was also quoting a figure for fraud, which changed by the end of the programme.
    When the DWP release figures to the media they do it very misleadingly and release a top-line figure for 'fraud and error'.
    This combined figure is what usually gets reported in the media as fraud.

You have to look a bit deeper to find that the error part is twice the amount that the fraud part is.
    i.e. they pay twice as much by mistake than is claimed by fraud.

Oh, and they tend to gloss over how much is underpaid as well.

Just for info the governments own figures for 2013/2014 are:

£3.4 bn amount overpaid
    of which:
    £2.2 bn error
    £1.2 bn fraud
    and
    £1.5 bn amount underpaid

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...al_Release.pdf

For some reason they don't seem to include PIP in those figures, although DLA is.

Another interesting thing I noticed in there
    Underpayments on Employment and Support
    Allowance are higher than the other working
    age means-tested benefits we measure: 1.8%
    of expenditure compared to 0.7% on Income
    Support and 0.4% on Jobseeker’s Allowance.

Over one third of the total underpayments are
    because of official errors on premiums. These
    were caused when some cases were migrated
    from Income Support or Incapacity Benefit and
    were not dealt with correctly.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.