Thread: Holiday abroad whilst on benefits

Holiday abroad whilst on benefits

Hi, I am new to this forum and posting on behalf of my ex hubby who is presently claiming PIP.

He wishes to divide his time between our two sons, one of which lives in UK and the other in Zimbabwe,

We know that he can go abroad for 13 weeks without losing his benefits, however how long would he need to remain in the UK before he could do another 13 week spell in Zimbabwe..

Many thanks

It's quite complicated, but I don't think if he takes regular trips that last that long he will be able to keep claiming , especially in Zimbabwe. This page may help, but he should consider consulting an expert welfare rights advisor before he makes a decision.

https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/overview

I agree that this is complicated and your ex needs further advice.

To be eligible for PIP you need to be habitually resident in the UK. This in itself is complicated as you have not mentioned whether he will have no fixed abode himself or not.

I can find no information about what gap there needs to be between visits only that, as you say, you can go abroad for up to 13 weeks. Nothing about how often (in a year for example) you can do this.

I do this think hinges on whether he would still be classed as habitually resident.

From what we got told about my dad going away and not affecting his pip claim is that you are untitled to go abroad for a maximum of 13 weeks in a 52 week (year) period. Hope that helps?

Hardly a week in the sun on the Costa Del Sol is it for Gods sake. Come on man, this is no holiday, you will effectively be jointly living in Africa, whilst getting PIP.

Thanks very much for your help. The address which he has in the UK is with my other son where he lives at the moment.

This is really annoying as the reason he wants to move between the two as they said he was not high priority for housing..

As regards the 'not high priority for housing' what exactly do you mean?

Is he unable to rent privately?

He can rent privately but cannot afford it..

Not only that but he needs assistance with finances etc as he is very forgetful and gets muddled. I don't think he would cope on his own..