Thread: Variable conditions and enhanced rate mobility?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Variable conditions and enhanced rate mobility?

Hello all,
    Although I'm new here I've been reading these forums for a while and picked up a wealth of information which has been invaluable.

I'm in the process of completing a draft PIP application (we downloaded the form online so that we could go through our answers before applying and so that we could get the necessary paperwork from the medical professionals first).

I'm completing the form on behalf of my wife who has a variable condition called EDS Type 3 - basically the collagen in her joints is faulty and can lead to recurrent sprains, dislocations, fractures, premature osteoarthritis and chronic pain syndrome.

The issue we have is that although she has a lot more bad days than good this condition is very variable - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday she won't be able to walk without being in extreme pain, she will slide down the stairs on her bum, and then use her zimmer-frame on wheels (sorry it does have a technical term but its eluded me) to get to the sofa where she will just collapse for the rest of the day. I will have prepared her meals and the only time she would move is to go to the toilet.

However on Thursday she will be able to walk around the house and probably be able to satisfy the criteria for walking between 50-200 metres before reverting back to being in agony for Friday and Saturday, and then "better" for SUnday.

Reading online there seems to be a lot of horror stories in terms of the mobility assessment where if the examiner sees that you can walk a long distance on one day a week they chose this as the descriptor, even though they say it must apply for at least 50% of the time. We have kept a diary going back the last 3 months which definitely proves this isn't the case but does anyone have experience of having a variable condition and what happened with them in relation to the assessment and how they were treated or any additional advice to ensure that the 1 good day we have a week isn't interpreted by the examiner as happening all the time because we can do it, once?

As you say, the assessors should be assessing on the 50% 'rule' as regards to which descriptors are met.

keeping a diary is a very good idea (although I always wonder how much 'weight' they attach to diaries when it is written by the claimant/partner - am I being super sarcastic?)

Personally I would suggest that letters from medical professionals hold more weight. Documentation of sprains/fractures, medication for the pain and other evidence from doctor/consultants.

Doctors/consultants rarely write anything useful as regards providing proof of 'how often' because they are not witness to what is happening. However, if you have a good relationship with your partner's doctor/consultant then a letter could be phrased to give some evidence. So, for example, the patient would be expected to experience............. for the majority of the time with only............periods of respite. Despite taking ............ patient reports that .....pain is experienced and despite raising the dose the patient reports.....................
    Many doctors do not have a clue about PIP descriptors so whether or not you could persuade them to write such a letter for you is debatable.

Do you have anyone else visit - nurse? - who could write a report?

I can't offer much help , but this happened to me.

Most of the time I can't manage more than 50 metres, but in my claim I ticked "variable" because I have to manage around 100 metres from car park to outpatients at the hospital when necessary. I added that this is only a few times a year, that it takes me a long time and I need to stop and rest half-way and that I need to rest the day before an appointment and suffer exhaustion for a couple of days afterwards. I expected to be awarded points for 20-50 metres on that basis, but was only given points for 50-200 meters.

I asked for a MR and explained in further detail, but the mobility decision was unchanged, even though the daily living went up from standard to enhanced because I can't bath and wash hair unaided. At that point, the stress of it all was more than I could cope with so I didn't take it any further and just accepted the MR decision - as the daily living had been increased I cut my losses as I decided the additional stress of a tribunal would be too much to deal with.