Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Thread: Budget

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wootton N. Lincs
    Posts
    612

    Budget

    From what I hear...........

    No tax or means testing for PIP or ESA
    WRAG to be scaled down to JSA rates
    Benefits freeze for 4 years on benefits with the exception of PIP and ESA
    Tax allowance raised to £11,000.00

    My main concern, as I suspect most benefit claimants, was for how it would affect myself and friends and family members.
    I am in support group ( CB) and get PIP at higher rate for both care and mobility. Seems if I have heard right that this budget will have no direct affect on my circumstances.
    Apologies if my take on this appears self centred, but more than just me depend on my benefits.

  2. #2
    New Member Evzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    16
    I'm in support group CB and higher rate care only pip, I don't get any of it lol. I hope I'm going to be ok but I'm sure they will let you know if your not.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wootton N. Lincs
    Posts
    612
    Listen to Moneybox live R4 at 3................ probably more info on there.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Evzie View Post
    I'm in support group CB and higher rate care only pip, I don't get any of it lol. I hope I'm going to be ok but I'm sure they will let you know if your not.
    My understanding of it is that for those on ESA support will not be affected by THIS budget. Both ESA support and PIP are exempt from the freeze in Working Age Benefits over the next 4 years. Finally, there will be no taxation on PIP. The only possible effect for those on ESA support and PIP is for those that receive any other benefit. The maximum benefit cap has been reduced to £23,000 in London, and £20,000 outside London, (however bear in mind, any PIP payment is not included in any calculation of total benefits).

    Those who are on ESA WRAG at present will not be affected by this budget, but in future, claimants placed in the WRAG will no longer receive the extra component and will be paid the same rate as JSA.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    297
    So all said and done then esa sg and pip are not affected in this budget that's good news

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
    My understanding of it is that for those on ESA support will not be affected by THIS budget. Both ESA support and PIP are exempt from the freeze in Working Age Benefits over the next 4 years. Finally, there will be no taxation on PIP. The only possible effect for those on ESA support and PIP is for those that receive any other benefit. The maximum benefit cap has been reduced to £23,000 in London, and £20,000 outside London, (however bear in mind, any PIP payment is not included in any calculation of total benefits).

    Those who are on ESA WRAG at present will not be affected by this budget, but in future, claimants placed in the WRAG will no longer receive the extra component and will be paid the same rate as JSA.

    The benefit cap does not affect anyone on ESA SG it never has done.

    Taken of the www.gov.co.uk site

    The benefit cap limits the amount of benefit that most people aged 16 to 64 can get. Some individual benefits aren’t affected, but it may affect the total amount of benefit you get. The cap won’t affect you if you’re in the support group.


    Benefits that are affected
    The cap applies to the total amount that the people in your household get from the following benefits:

    Bereavement Allowance
    Carer’s Allowance
    Child Benefit
    Child Tax Credit
    Employment and Support Allowance (unless you get the support component)
    Guardian’s Allowance
    Housing Benefit
    Incapacity Benefit
    Income Support
    Jobseeker’s Allowance
    Maternity Allowance
    Severe Disablement Allowance
    Widowed Parent’s Allowance (or Widowed Mother’s Allowance or Widows Pension you started getting before 9 April 2001)



    You’re not affected by the benefit cap if anyone in your household qualifies for Working Tax Credit or gets any of the following benefits:

    Disability Living Allowance
    Personal Independence Payment
    Attendance Allowance
    Industrial Injuries Benefits (and equivalent payments as part of a war disablement pension or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme)
    Employment and Support Allowance, if you get the support component
    War Widow’s or War Widower’s Pension
    War pensions
    Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
    Armed Forces Independence Payment

    everything else you posted is more or less as i see it, i don't think it was a bad budget...
    Last edited by marcus6; 08-07-15 at 13:29.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus6 View Post
    The benefit cap does not affect anyone on ESA SG it never has done.

    everything else you posted is more or less as i see it, i don't think it was a bad budget...
    Thanks, I was not aware of that, (only went into SG this year). Whilst I feel for new people being placed in the WRAG, the budget certainly less painful than I expected.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney View Post
    Thanks, I was not aware of that, (only went into SG this year). Whilst I feel for new people being placed in the WRAG, the budget certainly less painful than I expected.


    In Red, it sure was,

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,484
    Anyone who get WTC will find it reduces as the threshold of income before the 41p in the pound reduction is applied has been lowered - cut in half in fact. The major worries for many in the support group
    were that Contributions based ESA was to stop and that PIP would become taxable (ESA already is taxable) and neither of these happened so it's not as bad as expected.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Lighttouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    3,800
    I'm glad to see that the rent-a-room relief scheme will be raised from £4,250 to £7,500 tax free rent for home landlords. I might look into having two lodgers and help the housing crises!

Similar Threads

  1. The Budget - Wed 18 May - what's your view.
    By Lighttouch in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 24-03-15, 16:09
  2. Budget
    By Tatty_Tat in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-03-13, 17:15
  3. Wednesday's Budget - what are we expecting from it?
    By googlybear in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-03-13, 15:06
  4. My opinion about Budget 2012
    By foxes in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 24-03-12, 17:53
  5. The Budget - 21 March - what's in store . . .
    By Lighttouch in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 22-03-12, 08:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •