Thread: "Homeless" and putting in a new claim for ESA?

"Homeless" and putting in a new claim for ESA?

Hello, I'm afraid I'm asking for a friend who doesn't have access to the internet at the moment so I'm doing it on her behalf.

She wishes to put a claim in for ESA due to worsening health conditions and potentially PIP, but she currently has no fixed abode - she has access to a "care-of" address for postal reasons though.

I say no fixed abode, she lives in a caravan on a caravan site, however it's not considered an actual residence (in the respect of no postal access, and she's required to be off-site 48 hours every 28 days as per the sites rules)

I don't believe the caravan site will allow her to classify it as a residence due to council tax and their regulations, which leaves me thinking she's technically classified as "homeless"?

At any rate, if anyone could shed any light on this matter it would be greatly appreciated, and regardless of that situation, can you put in a new claim for ESA/PIP even if you're considered homeless but have access to a "care-of" address.

Thanks

Technically, she might be considered homeless. In that case if she applied for social housing she would be a priority and the Council would need to house her in hours!

Worth a try . . .

She's considered that, but to be fair she's more than happy with her caravan and doesn't particularly want to be taking up council housing space that she's probably not going to use as she's already got her pitch fee covered for the next year and loves it there.

see part two of the esa1 claim form

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...YvpAE3EWoOAPiQ

Thank you slipmaster
    I must have skimmed over that.
    However when I did a google search I came across various instances where people were denied their 'premiums' if they were homeless? Is that the case or?

And would the same apply to PIP as ESA? (unable to find one of those forms online, I'd assume it's since you have to call them up and explain your circumstances to them before they send one out? (in my experience)

I hope you won't think I am being pedantic but just in case anyone else reading this might 'latch on' to this.........re: Lighttouch's post.

To be considered homeless and be given some kind of housing by the local council you must have a priority need.

These are set out here:

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad.../priority_need

I am not saying that in this case there isn't a priority need but generally if you are single and of working age and do not have a priority need then you would be expected to find your own private accommodation.

I have also read that if you are homeless and 'sofa hopping' or staying with friends then it is more difficult to get the Severe Disability premium and one of the criteria is to be living alone or counted as living alone (won't go into the details at this stage).

As your friend has not actually applied for ESA/PIP at this stage I think it would be worthwhile speaking to her local council to find out what her housing status is. This is likely to have to go to a decision maker. The decision can then be formally made and she will have this in writing. The crucial thing (I think) is to find out where her main residence is and use this information for any premiums that she may be due in the future.

She is happy in her van. she has access to water, loo, kitchen. Ergo she ain't homeless. Sorry but if you cop out system and dont pay housing tax.......
    DLA, ESA is paid into a bank account so depends how off the grid yr friend is.