Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assistance technology with one hand!!

Assistance technology with one hand!!

I have a crappy right hand since march. Neuropathic pain renders it useless. SOOOOOOO what I need is suggestions/reccommendations/advice @

voice recognition software
    touch screen laptops
    what software has these assistive options (in idiot proof language)
    any adaptive garden tools or household ones?
    websites to check out?

any help welcome

Well, I'm your original one armed bandit who does like to make life easy be using tech or techniques to get stuff done one handed.

Eating out - request that the chef cuts up the food before serving.
    Coffee shops - ask the staff if they could kindly bring drinks to the table - no problem

Gardening - took my gardener to garden centre to lift and carry sacks of peat and flowers to car and weed plus plant them. I can no longer cut the grass, mow the lawn, weed or

Eating - I prefer to use a dessert spoon for many things but also have a fork with a knife edge on it's edge

Communications - I use a landlines speaker function for hands free calls.

Voice to text on iPhone . Can compose letter then post to Twitter, Mail or you choose. Quck, easy and accurate the more you use it.

Dressing - have a button fastener and shoe horn. Lie on bed to fasten shirt and pants or ask for help7

Sink taps - lever action are best.

Cooking - microwave a must or eat out!

Driving - driving knob for driving one handed plus electronic hoist for car.

Note taking - can no longer write or draw with my left hand. I do have an electronic digital recorder for meetinngs

Scissors - these can be right or left handed

Crutch - dedicated right hand ergonomic handle

All Mac computers, ipads, and iphones have speech recognition, and a digital assistant called "Siri"

Any new Windows PC, laptop, or tablet, since windows 7, has speech recognition- voice activated commands, text-to-speech, and speech to text -built in.
    They just needs turning on as your default settings. eg.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...#1TC=windows-7

Windows 10, out next month, also has a digital assistant called "Cortana" built in so you can do searches etc. by asking questions..
    eg. you speak your question and it searches the web and speaks the most appropriate answer back.
    This has been on windows smartphones for a while and is constantly being improved.
    Its still in development for PCs but here is an early preview
    http://uk.pcmag.com/operating-system...a-windows-10-p
    Last edited by nukecad; 30-06-15 at 02:46.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

If you're looking to do some gardening, I found a site that might be useful for you! It has lots of product ideas, that make it easier to use just one hand. http://www.carryongardening.org.uk/g...-one-hand.aspx

@jt14972 thanks for that - just put off by the price of the PETA range!
    @nukecad thabks also - tried the windows speech recog.....its pants so next step is headset mike to improve - hopefully
    LT - dont have a gardener, do have a carer....and buttons? ha i dont even go there - being a woman...east fit n fasten 4 me.
    I look at the menu n be thinking what doesnt need cutting up....dont have an iphone wont be getting one TOO HEAVY FOR THR PAW

Hi I'm not sure if this is any interest to you, they were very helpful but as my contact with them was work related, cost was less of an issue. Worth a look http://www.pcbyvoice.com Flymo suggested them, company founded by disabled bloke. I know people who have had support from Abilitynet http://www.abilitynet.org.uk. Not exactly sure what they offer, but I think they are a charity, so may be able to provide some support/suggestions for free. You don't really want to buy anything until you know it will work.

Now thinking about Abilitynet properly. I met the bloke who set it up years ago - suspect he's now well retired! Looking at their website they offer over the phone advice for individuals who are stuck, and pleased to see they will still try and find a volunteer to come and give you a hand if that would be of any interest. Give them a call and see what they say.

@nukecad thabks also - tried the windows speech recog.....its pants so next step is headset mike to improve - hopefully
    TBH I've never tried it.
    I have heard it's supposed to get better with time as it gets used to your voice.
    Might fire it up and have a go when I get time.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

thanks Fliss, the ability net link looks promising.

LT can you tell me more @ the note taker?