Thread: Overpayment - What to do?

Overpayment - What to do?

It has taken a long time to get my SDP sorted out. It is partly my fault as I had moved several times in the last year, (mainly because I could only afford shared accommodation, but when I got there the anxiety and paranoia caused by living with strangers was overwhelming). Since then I have moved to a self contained flat. I have always contacted DWP to inform them of my change of addresses, and reported that my circumstances had changed when I moved to my parents, and thus did not need to complete an IS10.

Recently, I received my SDP backdated payment, and it included the 4 weeks where I lived with my parents and thus not due for SDP. Ideally, I want to contact DWP to inform them of the overpayment but I am scared they will stop the whole claim while it is being resolved. Plan B is to put the value of the overpayment away, and should DWP realise their mistake, I can pay back asap. I really do not want money I am not entitled to.

Any thoughts?

you really need to inform them of the overpayment, as you are already aware you are not entitled to it.

I doubt they will stop your claim due to this, but knowingly receiving a payment that you know you're not entitled to is against the law.

Thank you, I will call them tomorrow