Thread: Pip and bedroom tax

Pip and bedroom tax

I suffer with obstructive sleep apnea and claim pip. I would like some advice on do I have to pay bedroom tax

The under-occupancy penalty (bedroom tax) is a reduction in your housing benefit (or Universal Credit Housing element) if you are deemed to have more bedrooms than you need.

You do not 'pay' a tax, your housing benefit (or UC He) is reduced so you may have to pay more towards your rent yourself.
    It only affects you if you get HB (or UC He) and live in social housing which is larger than deemed necessary.

It does not affect privately rented housing.

Shelter webpage about the 'Bedroom tax'
    What is the bedroom tax?

Claiming PIP is not a reason to be exempt, nor is having OSA.

However if you have a partner but need to sleep in another room because of the OSA then you may have a case for exemption.

You need to supply more details about your circumstances for us to give a better answer.

BTW are you claiming PIP based on your OSA alone?
    It would not realy seem to fit the assessment descriptors on its own.
    I ask because I also have a chronic sleep condition.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.