Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Benefit cuts

Benefit cuts

As July 8th draws nearer I am more and more concerned about the possible changes to the criteria for PIP and ESA, particularly the mention that these may become income related only.
    This concern has been raised here before but only seems to generate a handful of reponses. In saying that, the responses have all been from very concerned individuals who stand to lose a great deal. Is this small number because CB ESA is the exception rather than the rule? Now I do understand that someone claiming CB ESA may also be able to claim under income related,it is all dependent on circumstance. In such a case elegibility will remain unaffected.

However, I claim CB ESA and am in support group, I also claim PIP, both components on highest rate. The mobility payment portion of the PIP goes towards my Motability car.

Now, if these benefits become income related only on 8th July, that means I will lose both because I/we chose to save in the 40 odd years of working life.
    So my income will go from the benefits above to zero. I would imagine Motability would want the car back too as soon as the PIP payments cease.
    I don`t know what else to say really.......................

I haven't heard anything about PIP becoming income related and the rumour about ESA becoming income based only is just a rumour (at the moment) though I can see it happening at some point. Where does 8th July come into it? Where did you read anything about PIP changing to income based?

The 8th July is the welfare cuts budget

Depending on just how much savings you have, a solution could be to pay cash for your car and keep the mobility payments. This reduces your savings for income based.

Heard nothing about PIP being income related or means tested but rumour has it they plan to tax it, which is bad news for me and my pension

Moody
    Given that pensions are ring fenced as are child benefits the only big pots that would shift £12billion are tax credit cuts or disability benefits. I'm sure the speculation in the media will become rife over the next few weeks. It will be interesting to watch out for the propaganda to soften up the target demographic.

We had Ozzies "welfare is unsustainable" 48 hrs ago
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-10327280.html

which doesn't bode well ....

For the first time in over 20 years of her disability and benefits my daughter had a tax letter - I am waiting to see what comes next????
    Sea Queen

sea queen. I also had a tax letter for the first time.

Have you been asleep for the last month? - surely, you are joking when you indicate you are not aware of the upcoming budget - or did you vote Tory in some kind of state of insomnia?

I doubt this comment will get through the "mods".

Buster

number of people on CB ESA

Quote Originally Posted by stree View Post
    As July 8th draws nearer I am more and more concerned about the possible changes to the criteria for PIP and ESA, particularly the mention that these may become income related only.
    This concern has been raised here before but only seems to generate a handful of reponses. In saying that, the responses have all been from very concerned individuals who stand to lose a great deal. Is this small number because CB ESA is the exception rather than the rule? Now I do understand that someone claiming CB ESA may also be able to claim under income related,it is all dependent on circumstance. In such a case elegibility will remain unaffected.

However, I claim CB ESA and am in support group, I also claim PIP, both components on highest rate. The mobility payment portion of the PIP goes towards my Motability car.

Now, if these benefits become income related only on 8th July, that means I will lose both because I/we chose to save in the 40 odd years of working life.
    So my income will go from the benefits above to zero. I would imagine Motability would want the car back too as soon as the PIP payments cease.
    I don`t know what else to say really.......................

The reason there are so few people on CB ESA is because all those who were on it, who were placed in the work related activity group, where the majority of claimants end up, lose CB after 365 days. Once a year has elapsed, they get no more money, unless they qualify for income based ESA. If you have a private or works pension it will be deducted pound for pound from your ESA, if you have a partner who works more than 24 hrs you will not get any income based ESA.

Only people in the support group (very few claimants) will get CB based ESA for more than a year = not many people left on CB based ESA! I too have heard that they are talking about doing away with CB ESA, but I have heard nothing like that about DLA, only that it may become taxable.