Thread: Power add on to manual wheelchair

Power add on to manual wheelchair

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I do hope someone can come up with a suggestion for me.
    Just to explain, I cannot have any help with a wheelchair since I can get around the house and my local authority won't help in any way until I am quite immobile.
    So, I have been wasting money trying to find a way to get out of the house, down the road and perhaps a little further.

I have a Karma manual wheelchair which we are tweaking to make it bearable for me to use, I cannot take any knocks or bumps on a journey as it scrambles my coordination, so obviously a bit trying for us to find a way to get me out.

One of the things we do need next is some kind of power assistance for either me operating the wheelchair or for when hubby is pushing me. I have tried to track down a unit that you can plug into the wheels that will take over the strain when I am wheeling, something like the US Wijit, only I would lke it to benefit a carer too.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have an awful feeling that there isn't much with these features, and maybe I should build market one ( my dear departed Dad would have been in his element!)

Answering my own question

I have found on an older thread reference to the NuDrive system, which at the time, was quoted at £450, now a healthy £2000...
    Had better start saving!

Another opton

Quote Originally Posted by worcshomemum View Post
    I have found on an older thread reference to the NuDrive system, which at the time, was quoted at £450, now a healthy £2000...
    Had better start saving!
    Available here
    http://www.glebehealthcare.co.uk/NuD.../dp/B00Q4NBV46

An even healthier option an AAT Servo Power Assist for a mere £4795
    http://www.thelivingcentre.co.uk/whe...wer-assist.htm
    These people also do the NuDrive and a few other options depending on what is required.

So, here's hoping the Lottery numbers come up this week...