Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motability Recovery problem

Motability Recovery problem

I am a caravanner and have been told that I cannot use it when I am towing

I have got onto RAC to see if there is a possibility of negotiating a cover that would "splice" into the Motabilty package and give me, for an additional fee, a full policy covering me for thre lot.

RAC came back that they were unable to sort out anything - but I could buy a Full recovery policy which would cover the caravan.

Since then I have taken out a "Recovery Only" service form the Caravan Club but this is not the ideal situation.

Has anyone else any ideas on the fiasco?

Furry Fred

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFred View Post
    I am a caravanner and have been told that I cannot use it when I am towing

I have got onto RAC to see if there is a possibility of negotiating a cover that would "splice" into the Motabilty package and give me, for an additional fee, a full policy covering me for thre lot.

RAC came back that they were unable to sort out anything - but I could buy a Full recovery policy which would cover the caravan.

Since then I have taken out a "Recovery Only" service form the Caravan Club but this is not the ideal situation.

Has anyone else any ideas on the fiasco?

Furry Fred
    The only option i see is to pay for the full cover from either RAC, Or another provider. Shop around and you might find it a lot cheaper.

What do you mean by "Recovery only". Most breakdown cover providers would rather repair than recover a car with caravan. The cost difference to them is huge. As you mentioned its a motability vehicle, the probability of a major fault in a vehicle of that age seems unlikely. Your most likely problems are batteries and tyres. Both are easy fixes at the side of the road.

Have you looked on the Motability Website? All that is not covered is repairs to the caravan itself. They will tow you and your caravan if necessary.

What RAC Motability cover does not include

Caravans and trailers

If you break down while towing a caravan or trailer, RAC Motability Assist will still attend to your car but repairs to your caravan or trailer will cost extra. If the problem can’t be fixed on the spot, RAC Motability will tow your trailer or caravan to a destination of your choice up to 10 miles away.

It is best to contact RAC Motability Assist before setting out on your journey to arrange additional cover for your caravan or trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by keithl View Post
    Have you looked on the Motability Website? All that is not covered is repairs to the caravan itself. They will tow you and your caravan if necessary.

What RAC Motability cover does not include

Caravans and trailers

If you break down while towing a caravan or trailer, RAC Motability Assist will still attend to your car but repairs to your caravan or trailer will cost extra. If the problem can’t be fixed on the spot, RAC Motability will tow your trailer or caravan to a destination of your choice up to 10 miles away.

It is best to contact RAC Motability Assist before setting out on your journey to arrange additional cover for your caravan or trailer.
    Note that upto 10 miles part. Sometimes there can be more than 10 miles between motorway junctions.

Royal Automobile Club are providing, in many cases, quick and good service.

ot sure why you would think Motability should insure your caravan, or any trailer, etc etc. they are there to provide a car/disabled can, not your personal property.

You should insure your property that would be the best

Quote Originally Posted by warkman View Post
    ot sure why you would think Motability should insure your caravan, or any trailer, etc etc. they are there to provide a car/disabled can, not your personal property.

You should insure your property that would be the best
    Yes this correct,car only to becovered.

I'm in a similar situation, but after a long discussion with the RAC, my understanding was that the RAC would recover my caravan IF the problem was something initiated by the car. If, on the other hand, the problem was initiated by the caravan, then the Motobility cover would not apply. The exception to this being recovery from abroad where the caravan would not be covered whatever the circumstances.

To get around this problem, the RAC offered me an Extension Policy which covers me for everything abroad and for caravan cover in the UK. The fee was £56 for a year, and I have just renewed it again.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded99 View Post
    I'm in a similar situation, but after a long discussion with the RAC, my understanding was that the RAC would recover my caravan IF the problem was something initiated by the car. If, on the other hand, the problem was initiated by the caravan, then the Motobility cover would not apply. The exception to this being recovery from abroad where the caravan would not be covered whatever the circumstances.

To get around this problem, the RAC offered me an Extension Policy which covers me for everything abroad and for caravan cover in the UK. The fee was £56 for a year, and I have just renewed it again.
    This is best way forward for many in same situation

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded99 View Post

That sounds like a very good deal