Thread: Social Services & Transport

Social Services & Transport

Hi wonder if you can help. Currently my nephew who has MECP2 (rare genetic disorder)

He is 5 years old. He has no motor skills, cannot walk or talk and is PEG fed. He has Hypotonia and is susceptible to infections which for his condition are life threatenbing. He has to be cared for 24 hours a day. He has seizures daily

He goes to a school that caters for his needs and others of similar disability nature. He is brought to and from school daily by us the family on the following days:

MON - AM/PM
    TUE - AM
    WED - PM
    THU - AM/PM
    FRI - AM/PM

On Tuesday evening he is brought back to a teacher at the school for an overnight respite, this is an official respite organised via Social Services department. A Taxi is paid for to bring my nephew accompanied by the teacher back to her abode and a taxi is paid for to bring him back to school the following day, the bill for this is picked up by Social Services. It is a taxi company that provides this service with a big enough people carrier to ferry them back and forth including his big wheelchair. The weekly cost for these two trips is £75 (If I got this people carrier taxi it would be £7 there and £7 back, what a disgrace of a markup!!).

The issue we have is that Social Services are having budget cuts and are saying this now has to stop and they cannot pay for it anymore. I have spoke to the local council SEN transport officer and as he is going to respite overnight they cannot pay for it, only for transport from his home to and from school and say this issue lays at Social Services door. We out of our own pockets because of his needs and lack of transport training bring him to school 4 days of the week which saves the council far more money and they want to take this one day a week from us. This day gives my sister and the rest of the family much needed rest and allows us to work the other days around him.

Question, can they withdraw this facility?
    If they cannot what do we say? Any statutes?

Quote Originally Posted by keyser666 View Post
    Hi wonder if you can help. Currently my nephew who has MECP2 (rare genetic disorder)

He is 5 years old. He has no motor skills, cannot walk or talk and is PEG fed. He has Hypotonia and is susceptible to infections which for his condition are life threatenbing. He has to be cared for 24 hours a day. He has seizures daily

He goes to a school that caters for his needs and others of similar disability nature. He is brought to and from school daily by us the family on the following days:

MON - AM/PM
    TUE - AM
    WED - PM
    THU - AM/PM
    FRI - AM/PM

On Tuesday evening he is brought back to a teacher at the school for an overnight respite, this is an official respite organised via Social Services department. A Taxi is paid for to bring my nephew accompanied by the teacher back to her abode and a taxi is paid for to bring him back to school the following day, the bill for this is picked up by Social Services. It is a taxi company that provides this service with a big enough people carrier to ferry them back and forth including his big wheelchair. The weekly cost for these two trips is £75 (If I got this people carrier taxi it would be £7 there and £7 back, what a disgrace of a markup!!).

The issue we have is that Social Services are having budget cuts and are saying this now has to stop and they cannot pay for it anymore. I have spoke to the local council SEN transport officer and as he is going to respite overnight they cannot pay for it, only for transport from his home to and from school and say this issue lays at Social Services door. We out of our own pockets because of his needs and lack of transport training bring him to school 4 days of the week which saves the council far more money and they want to take this one day a week from us. This day gives my sister and the rest of the family much needed rest and allows us to work the other days around him.

Question, can they withdraw this facility?
    If they cannot what do we say? Any statutes?
    This post is perhaps better in other section. Perhaps it be moved.