Thread: Unstable Commode

Question Unstable Commode

Hi

My elderly mother has just been given a commode which has been placed by her bed. Unfortunately last night, when she needed to use it, she probably tried to use it to pull herself out of bed and the thing toppled over taking her with it.

I'm new to this situation and I wondered why anyone would design something like this. Surely there must be ones which are more stable than this thing. Can anyone tell me where I might find one?

Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator
    Hi psparry,

Sorry to hear that this has happened to your mother, hope she is alright. Before you go out and buy another commode, it might be best to contact social services first and try to get your mother an assessment by an Occupational Therapist. After the assessment they will be able to give you commode recommendations.

Please let us know if you need any additional information.

Kind regards,
    DLF Team

Alas - she is very cantankerous and has refused all help from the assessment people.

You can get commodes that are discreet and look like proper chairs, made out of wood etc. I assume these would be more stable.

Found some good looking ones here: http://www.uksmobility.co.uk/toileting/commodes