Thread: registered disabled

registered disabled

hello ive just had my card come through registering me disabled ive been told i can claim vat back on disabled products what products do they mean any help would be usefull
    Shaun

Quote Originally Posted by jshaun1968 View Post
    hello ive just had my card come through registering me disabled ive been told i can claim vat back on disabled products what products do they mean any help would be usefull
    Curious - what kind of 'card'? Prior to receiving PIP I received DLA - I've never had a card saying I'm registered as disabled? Who, where did the card come from?

Most things that you can claim VAT back you just provide evidence of your DLA or PIP entitlements.

In the past had a card for the cinema, theatres etc and gives a carer free entrance etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyS View Post
    Curious - what kind of 'card'? Prior to receiving PIP I received DLA - I've never had a card saying I'm registered as disabled? Who, where did the card come from?

Most things that you can claim VAT back you just provide evidence of your DLA or PIP entitlements.

In the past had a card for the cinema, theatres etc and gives a carer free entrance etc.
    the card is from my local council adult services department its a yellow card
    Shaun

Quote Originally Posted by jshaun1968 View Post
    the card is from my local council adult services department its a yellow card
    Never heard of it or even seen one even more curious now as to what it can be used for.

Don't have them in our area, I asked. They were phased out years ago.

Super Moderator
    Hi jshaun,

For questions regarding VAT, please try contacting the VAT exemption line on, 0300 123 1073.

Kind regards,
    DLF team

Last edited by havelove; 09-04-18 at 01:43.

It seems the "registered disabled " scheme is entirely dependent on where you live.

There has been a discussion about this on another group I belong to.

Some councils still implement this scheme of registering you, others do not. As far as I am aware it is done through, Adult Social care, OT/OH etc.

With regard to VAT, it means that you would not pay VAT/get VAT relief on equipment etc that you may need, when purchasing yourself. This would be things like walking sticks, kitchen helper equipment, gadgets for the bathroom etc. (although you can get equipment from Adult Social care and OH/OT if they assess your needs)

If you go to one of the websites that sell disability aids and equipment, it is usually all explained on the site.

You do not, however, need a registered disabled card. I have ordered online and you just tick a box to say you are entitled to VAT relief on equipment due to being disabled. (some sites ask which benefits you get. )

I think these companies can check that you are entitled to the VAT relief through a Government dept or some such.

Another thing people can do, is register with their Gas, Electricity and Water suppliers as a vulnerable person. You are then placed on a register, this means that if there are any problems with your supply of any utilities, you should be a priority to the company. This includes trying to restore supply as quickly as possible, providing alternatives and information of what help/support is available.

Also, if you have a main carer, (mine is my partner), most G.Ps have a scheme for them to register as well. This means, in theory, that they can usually get an appointment when needed and also have the option of discussing any problems they may have relating to being a carer, (such as needing extra help, respite, etc).
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.