Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Symbol?

Symbol?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, I hope that's okay. I have multiple diagnoses, but I consider my main one to be autism.

I wanted to ask something if that's okay?

Where I work they are making an equality poster. To represent disability, they have used a symbol like this (click here for link)

I was wondering whether anyone could suggest any alternative or additional symbols that represent disability/disabled people?

I have nothing against the existing symbol (I don't know if anyone does though), but wondered whether there was anything more universal e.g. that represents neuro-developmental issues too, for example?

Any ideas much appreciated.

I hope you are not angry with me. Thanks,

AG

Sorry, someone pointed out that links don't work and just go to google search. Sorry don't know what I'm doing.

The symbol currently on the poster is
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1034px-International_Symbol_of_Access.svg.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	1337

The symbol that I was wondering if it was any better is

Name:	Disability_symbols.png 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	1338

Thanks and sorry I messed up previous post. Don't know how to fix, sorry.

Hey, no need to apologise. It will probably be tomorrow before we can see the symbols, attachments take a little while on this site. But we will tell you what we think then.

Thank you, you're very kind.

Here already!

The blue background wheelchair symbol is easily recognisable. But for your work poster I'm guessing you want people to think about what equality means for other people, and so you want to represent a more diverse view of disability than just disabled people using wheelchairs. So the second one gets my vote for your poster

Thanks Fliss, you're right, I (along with my colleagues) am keen to show a diverse view of disability, as far as is possible within one A4 poster! Thanks for your vote

Hi aliengirl.

Try following that supposedly 'wrong' link in your original post; hundreds of alternative symbols to the usual ones on there.

eg.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	1339

or

Name:	invisible_disability.jpg 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	1340
    Last edited by nukecad; 07-06-15 at 20:56.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi nukecad,

Thanks, I'll take a look. I like the examples in your post.

When you say you want to make an equality poster for disability - are you setting up an equality group?

As you are aware there are different impairments -

- visually impaired or blind
    - hearing impaired or deaf
    - physically impaired
    - people with learning difficulties

It doesn't matter wich type of impairment a person has but it's important to recognised that we are all disabled by society and it's up to us to help remove those disabled barriers so disabled and non-disabled people can integrate and not be excluded from society.

I hope your company has adopted the 'social model of disability'.

I think your poster would be more striking with examples of individuals with different impairments that tells a story.

Example - photo of disabled woman sat in wheelchair looking at the reader with a caption above her head saying 'I wanted to go dancing tonight but the club has three steps at the entrance' . . . we're people too.

A photo of a young trendy man with a guide dog stood against a plain grey backdrop and a caption saying 'I missed going to the music concert tonight - the taxi driver wouldn't take my guide dog . . . we're people too.

Do you get my drift - highlight a disabling barrier in a creative way to attract attention, create interest and a desire to know more and finally your audience should be directed to a call to action to find out more.

Hi Lighttouch,

Thanks for your reply.

The poster is a general A4 one and is meant to cover all areas of diversity (sexuality, gender identity race, ethnic origin and so forth) and it has a rather bright multicoloured background with different white line drawing-type symbols of people.

So as a pretty basic poster, it is trying to do a lot, and frustratingly, the designer isn't really involved in the discussions around what it should include (and it's unlikely that this will change).

The existing group at work is a general equalities group made up of a small number of staff.

I don't know if where I work has adopted the social model. I know it should have, but I don't even know if most of my colleagues would even know what it was, to be honest.

I'm only in a very low-level role within the organisation so have no authority regarding these things, sadly.

Sorry, I'm rambling. I guess the main challenge of this poster is that the designer (who has a lot of authority within the organisation) will probably say that only one simple image/set of images can be included to represent disabled people on the poster and that is why I wanted people's thoughts on what would be a good image to use, bearing in mind these frustrating constraints.

I hope this makes sense. Sorry.