Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anybody help me with my situation regarding Incap and carers allowance?

Can anybody help me with my situation regarding Incap and carers allowance?

Hello all, Just found the site on google, I need a bit of help before i get into this appeal business, again.

Im 25 year old male, I have been on incap since 2004 for mental health problems, ( depression) been on and off anti depressants for years...

I recently went for a medical with atos healthcare with regards to my incap benefit being renewed, I had been self harming as of late, well, over the years really. This healthcare exam wasnt much at all, she took 10 mins and sent me on my way. Out of pure gut feeling, i felt she wasnt going to give me the decision, so i took it upon myself to visit my gp the same day and show him some of the injuries i had been causing myself, self inflicted burns on wrist and arms. Theres been a lot of them over the years but i havent told them. So the Dr refers me to a pshycyatrist and doubles my dose of fluoxetine and sends me on my way.. Today i got a call from the job centre saying i hadnt met the criteria for employment and support allowance and my incap will run till Jan..... This is where i am upto, but also, I am on an underlying entitlement for carers allowance, (I am currently caring for my aunt who suffers severe back and shoulder pain and isnt too good herself, mentally) So to sum up, I look after my aunt most of the time, I am depressed myself ( I wont go into the details) and i am self harming ( deep burns with hot lighter) I know it sounds mad but i assure you im not insane

Can anybody give me some advice on what to do? Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas. Nick.

Best advice is contact the CAB, & hope they can advise. You situation sounds complicated. I am not sure what you would he entitled to, but you are entitled to something. They can also advise on any appeals, & help you do that. Medical evidence is vital in any claim or appeal. It seems you may not have provided this, by your own admission you have not told them about how serious your situation is. I cannot say if this would mean you could claim again or win an appeal, that is where the CAB might be able to advise.

I feel that therapy is a good start for you, this alone could help you a lot. I have never agreed with just handing out drugs for such conditions.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

I cant add anything to what stephen has said really. Only I know that you are not insane, I have been in your position myself and although self harming is not "normal" it is a way of coping, which we all need and burning yourself is your way.

Take the advice from stephen

A lot of doctors take self harm as a sign of borderline personality disorder and I'm not sure how they will view that for Incap Ben. You need to keep slogging away about how badly affected you are with it. Some see it as attention seeking. In many cases it is actually a coping strategy but it's hard to get that over to a disbelieving ATOS doctor. If your doc or the psych you see agree that you are unwell enough to work with depression ask for a letter for the benefits agency setting out why they feel that and what their findings are on interviewing you. Why had you not told the GP about the self harm before? Mental health problems are so much harder to prove. Good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mersey View Post
    Hello all, Just found the site on google, I need a bit of help before i get into this appeal business, again.

Im 25 year old male, I have been on incap since 2004 for mental health problems, ( depression) been on and off anti depressants for years...

I recently went for a medical with atos healthcare with regards to my incap benefit being renewed, I had been self harming as of late, well, over the years really. This healthcare exam wasnt much at all, she took 10 mins and sent me on my way. Out of pure gut feeling, i felt she wasnt going to give me the decision, so i took it upon myself to visit my gp the same day and show him some of the injuries i had been causing myself, self inflicted burns on wrist and arms. Theres been a lot of them over the years but i havent told them. So the Dr refers me to a pshycyatrist and doubles my dose of fluoxetine and sends me on my way.. Today i got a call from the job centre saying i hadnt met the criteria for employment and support allowance and my incap will run till Jan..... This is where i am upto, but also, I am on an underlying entitlement for carers allowance, (I am currently caring for my aunt who suffers severe back and shoulder pain and isnt too good herself, mentally) So to sum up, I look after my aunt most of the time, I am depressed myself ( I wont go into the details) and i am self harming ( deep burns with hot lighter) I know it sounds mad but i assure you im not insane

Can anybody give me some advice on what to do? Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas. Nick.
    You should appeal the decision stopping your ICB. Use the appeal form GL24. once the appeal is lodged you will be paid the basic rate of ESA £67.50 a week with a £31 a week addition because you have underlying title to Carers Allowance. Making £98.50 a week income based ESA. You should also be claiming Disability Living Allowance as well for the self harming.

Hi again. I have just won my appeal. After 9 months on £71 a week. I didnt see your post back then with regards to claiming the carers allowance in post #5. Could i get that backdated and if so would my Aunt lose her severe disability payments from that period if i did ?

Many thanks.

As far as I know you can't have carers allowance backdated . Also think a person who claims Severe Disability allowance loses that when someone claims carers allowance for looking after them.

So if your aunt claimed Severe Disability the financial effect balanced out in the main.

Sure someone will correct this if I'm wrong.

Hi carers can be backdated for 3 months if you was on a qualifying benefit. It is right you do lose the SDA as my Dad did when I became his carer.

Ok many thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mersey View Post
    Hi again. I have just won my appeal. After 9 months on £71 a week. I didnt see your post back then with regards to claiming the carers allowance in post #5. Could i get that backdated and if so would my Aunt lose her severe disability payments from that period if i did ?

Many thanks.
    If your Aunt gets the Severe Disability Premium in her benefit, then she will lose it if you claim Carers Allowance. So be careful.