Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paralympian to lose mobility car...

Paralympian to lose mobility car...

Illegitimi non carborundum

That's a shame. She can only manage to walk 20 metres because she has been training to do

Clicked on it - and says.

We can't find the page:
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/po...kayleigh-58006

Just found another link :
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/po...yleigh-5800691

Caring is an art not a science

If anyone here feels strongly about this please consider putting this on Facebook, etc. We knew this would happen, but it's still shocking.

I have Cerebral Palsy and also wouldn't have qualified for PIP at age 16. However, I did qualify for Mobility Allowance (pre DLA) and learnt to drive at 16! I then happily went off to uni at 18, driving my Motability mini. I've been fully independent and worked full time ever since. Life has taken it's toll, and despite my best efforts 30 years on I'm less mobile and only walk short household distances.

It's horrible to think this young woman will not have the freedom and opportunities I had.

i fully agree with you fliss, i have CP and im awaiting my changeover from DLA to Pip, so much so that im thinking when the time comes of not even applying for it as i doubt very much id get it and i just dont want the hasstle of having to prove my life long disability that will never ever improve.

But though coping mechanisms, ive learned to adapt, so it means i dont need constant medical intervention i just plough on, so my disability is lifelong, it wiLl never change, But i need help, for instance i couldnt use public transport unless i was gauranteed a seat as i have not the balance or strength to stand, i only shower never bath and use a bath board to slide on and off with. but i don't have much supporting medical evidence. i have a feeling if i go apply for pip id get nowhere.

Im my 40s now and my body is creeking under the strain of having to everything all my life with only one side, but like you i've been lucky enough to work. It's a terrible time especially for youngsters like this. If your applying for any benefits i wish you you all the best.

I've seen this type of issue before even when chronically disabled people applied for the mobility component of DLA.

The reason why they are turned down is because they are 'to upbeat' about there impairment not realising that their attitudes goes against them.

No doubt the paralympian would be replying 'I can do that' in answers to questions as that's her mindset and why she reached the top in her sporting field. She needs to 'play the game' and get clued up as to what are sensible answers considering what she's applying for.

Quote Originally Posted by RaspberryRipple View Post
    I managed to find this film via an STV link (Unsure if you can view it outside of Scotland but worth trying). http://news.stv.tv/west-central/1322...-mobility-car/
    This young girl appears to have quite pronounced spastic cerebral palsy (or similar) causing her very significant difficulties in walking. Her scissor gait means she is completely restricted in terms of leg extention and the manor and effort for her to walk would be truly exhausting and increasingly painful due to the extreme and permanent tightness in all her lower limb muscles. Her walking means her balance is affected and in the film she uses the wall as an essential aid to assist her. She has a wheelchair for daily use which requires help from another person to load into and out of the car.
    I am totally astounded that she didn't qualify for PIP, after all I was under the impression that how you are able to walk was largely considered.
    I absolutely support her in the campaign for challenging the decision from DWP to refuse her application which in my view was overlooked and misrepresented.
    Yes the link works. It's an utter disgrace the government should be totally embarrassed!

I agree with you AmyS this is a disgrace - this brave girl has achieved so much through her hard work and determination and surely she is just the type of person that the PIP benefit was intended for. I would hope that through the publicity she will be able to get help to run a successful appeal after all she may be able to walk more than 20 metres but can she do it 'reliably, in a timely fashion, repeatedly and safely' as the descriptors require.

change.org are running a petition on this which is gathering support:
    https://www.change.org/p/rt-hon-davi...pip-guidelines
    Caring is an art not a science

Make the effort to overcome the challenges of your disability and you'll be penalized for it. The lesson learnt here, Dont try and better yourself.