Thread: Reaching 16, unsure if will qualify for pip

Reaching 16, unsure if will qualify for pip

Hello

My daughter will be 16 in October and Ive had a letter stating that after 16 she will be invited to apply for PIP

She currently gets high rate DLA as she has nocturnal epilepsy and has to sleep with monitoring equipment that alarm if a seizure occurs, as they can be prolonged, she can vomit and aspirate etc.
    She also tends to have a sleep in the day often because of post seizure exhaustion. Hence the high rate DLA

Now when I look at the descriptors for PIP I don't think she will qualify, a point for prompting for medication, maybe a few for needing washing post seizure but that's it. Unless her alarm is considered therapy? Certainly its life protecting and would be dangerous to her not to use it.

I find it bizarre that whilst under 16 - when you wouldn't leave them alone overnight we got it, but now post 16 when you could expect someone to spend a night alone she won't get it!!

In addition could anyone tell me when she is likely to get invited to apply is it right on her 16th birthday, weeks/months after?

Thanks for any help

Ann Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Anj View Post
    Hello

My daughter will be 16 in October and Ive had a letter stating that after 16 she will be invited to apply for PIP

She currently gets high rate DLA as she has nocturnal epilepsy and has to sleep with monitoring equipment that alarm if a seizure occurs, as they can be prolonged, she can vomit and aspirate etc.
    She also tends to have a sleep in the day often because of post seizure exhaustion. Hence the high rate DLA

Now when I look at the descriptors for PIP I don't think she will qualify, a point for prompting for medication, maybe a few for needing washing post seizure but that's it. Unless her alarm is considered therapy? Certainly its life protecting and would be dangerous to her not to use it.

I find it bizarre that whilst under 16 - when you wouldn't leave them alone overnight we got it, but now post 16 when you could expect someone to spend a night alone she won't get it!!

In addition could anyone tell me when she is likely to get invited to apply is it right on her 16th birthday, weeks/months after?

Thanks for any help

Ann Jones
    I think this thread might be of help to you

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/7195/

As you might notice most of the posters are welfare/benefits advisers. I would strongly suggest that you get some help from a professional to complete the form. Start gathering as much medical evidence to back up your assertions as you can.

From what you've said it sounds like there may be problems claiming on purely epilepsy. Unfortunetly there is no activity for sleeping.

Are there any co-morbid conditions? Or any other conditions that could possibly apply?

As you stated her alarm could potentially be life saving, then id say that should be considered therapy.
    Last edited by carl30; 30-05-15 at 10:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Anj View Post
    Hello

Thanks for any help

Ann Jones
    This link may be of some help

http://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/7195/

As you can see most of the posters are welfare advisors. I strongly urge you to get some help with the application from a professional.