Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Queen's Speech - what do you reckon to the budge

The Queen's Speech - what do you reckon to the budge

Osbourne will be announcing a new budget today.

What's your view o what he said. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32894214

In my opinion the rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer

As always we need to see more detail. The National Insurance Contributions and Finance Bill should help those on low pay, I thought they were also going to raise the 40% tax threshold but that may be in the detail. Then there is the Childcare Bill.

The ban on so called legal highs under the Psychoactive Substance Bill is long overdue in my opinion.

Plus there is the EU Referendum and devolution bills.

Will be a busy Parliamentary session.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Just wondering if the money and planning will be in place to build/replace the social housing that will be bought. Also, the land to build new homes on, where will it appear from.
    Even if they build new homes, they will probably not be social housing.
    I appreciate people wanting to get on the housing ladder, but social housing is already at crisis point. Allowing everyone to buy their council/lha property will make things worse in my opinion.
    Plus, the people at the lower levels, (low paid, benefits, unsuitable property) will not be able to do it anyway.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

The big selloff was one of Maggies masterstrokes.

Turned millions of labour voting council tenants into tory voting homeowners in just a couple of years.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Wonder how the vote will go in 2017, or earlier?

From my point of view I would suggest that the content of today's Queen's Speech is very desirable to continue the measures needed to resolve the country from its ongoing financial difficulties. It is very clear that David Cameron's government will be focussing on two issues in particular, the EU referendum and the Scottish upheaval caused by the SNP.

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisD; 28-05-15 at 00:37.

Quote Originally Posted by paul1234 View Post
    Wonder how the vote will go in 2017, or earlier?
    I think the vote will be to stay within the EU. However, and I'm concerned about this, much will depend upon how the stay/leave debate is played out by our politicians, the media and various other parties. Will we get an informed debate?

I fear the debate will be limited to migration. For me the debate is more complex, it's about the vision of the future, not in 5 years but perhaps 15-25 years. Is the EU going to evolve into a United States of Europe? If so, is this that the people of the UK want?

I was once told by my MEP never ask a British politician about the future direction of the EU, ask a German or French politician!

As for me, I don't know how'll I'll vote. I need a lot more information, coupled with my own research, before I decide.
    Last edited by vantage; 27-05-15 at 21:59.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

I am more concerned about some of the other aims, although not all were in the Queens speech.

They want to repeal the Human Rights Act and replace it with their own.
    Or at least have a veto on judgments from the European Court of Human rights.
    (There go your basic rights).

They have proposed an "Investigatory Powers Bill" which will allow tracking of everyones web use as well as mass data interception without a warrant.
    (There goes your right to privacy).

The "Extremism Bill" will take tough action against any broadcast of extreme views.
    (There goes free speech).

It also includes employment checks so that companies will have to "check if individuals are extremist so they can be barred from working with children".
    This is alongside already announced proposals for banning orders, extremism disruption orders and closure orders to be used against premises that are used to support extremism.

Nothing in these about who decides just what constitutes extremism, guess they will change the rules as and when it suits them.

It already been made a criminal offence to try to travel to certain 'extremist' countries, they are already jailing people.
    (Freedom to travel already gone).

People who are not native born in the UK, and even some who are, are treated with suspicion of being criminals and stealing 'our' jobs and benefits.

All of this sounds strangely familiar.

They are broadly the policies brought in between 1933 and 1945 in Nazi Germany.
    Those started out as 'emergency measures' following a 'terrorist attack'.
    At least they did it all at once and didn't try to sneak it in.

That view might seem a bit farfetched to some - try looking up 'The Reichstag Fire Decree' and judge for yourself.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Moody
    I'm not anti Tory - I voted for them all my working life - but my eyes have been opened since my disablities have meant I can't work and rely on the Welfare State. A Welfare State the Tories no longer want the State to have the liability for.

Promote sale of social housing so that eventually all rental will be with private landlords
    Move the NHS into the private sector

I can see a future where we no longer pay National insurance and are required to take out private health and welfare insurance to pay for welfare ourselves.