Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Economical Modern Wheelchair Recommendations?

Thanks Lighttouch, I'll call them in the morning. I'm not sure it'll be a benefit to see me at home as I'm hoping to move ASAP.

I've read every part of that website several times, I don't see the benefit in becoming a member and the variation of AS sufferers are quite extreme. Most people will benefit from that website if they find out they have AS and they haven't had it long. Unfortunately I've had it for 18-19 years, although it was only diagnosed 3 years ago. I've been sent away with painkillers by lots of doctors just assuming I had a sore back. It's only when scanning for cancer that they stumbled on the damage. The MRI shows the damage is done and can't be repaired so I'm stuck in pain with almost no mobility in my legs for the rest of my life. Or until they master spine transpants

I was on the phone on Thursday and received a voicemail at 16:11 telling me an engineer would be out with my wheelchair tomorrow (Friday). This is the first communication I have ever had with the NHS wheelchair service. I called them back straight away and all lines go to a voicemail and they close at 16:15. I had plans the next day but decided to cancel them to find out what's going on.

So next day I called them first thing. The person I spoke to was the most robotic person I've ever spoken with. He did not engage in conversation at all. He just informed me that I fell into a category of just being sent a wheelchair and if it doesn't suit just call them.

I thought this was bizarre as someone previously mentioned I should be measured for a wheelchair. My biggest concern was comfort as sitting in an upright position for s short period of time can cause me a lot of pain.

Early afternoon the Wheelchair Engineer arrived. He was a delivery driver and knew less about the wheelchair than I did.

The wheelchair is an Invacare Action 3 and came with a thin cushion. It looks decent enough. It's very heavy. The tyres are solid plastic. I sat in it and find it quite uncomfortable. It is too upright for me and cannot be adjusted to recline slightly.

I feel very unappreciative. I just want them to understand my condition and make decisions based on it.

Should I just accept the wheelchair and deal with my issues???

Had one of those delivered to my mother - really uncomfortable - one size does not fit ALL (so to speak) - and even more awkward for someone to push. Extremely heavy and fiddly to fold and lift into a vehicle. After three months, asked them to come and take it away. AS the person 'pushing' I was given no guidance on how to handle it etc.

Hi Lanky, please don't accept the wheelchair. Call them and explain why it won't help you, and ask for an appointment. I've had an ActionNG chair via NHS, and it is all the things you describe.

I think finding the wheelchair is quite a complex task, and it's very individual to everyone. I'd really recommend going to somewhere like The Mobility roadshow where you can have a good mooch and see lots of different options. But see if your aNHS wheelchair service can provide anything better at the same time. I'm sorry we're not recommending anything as such, but it's so personal.

I'm sorry to know the news, I do not even know how to give you a good idea, I'm sorry.

I gave the chair a week, but it's causing me a lot more pain and encouraging me to stay in rather than use it.

I called them and questioned the process of just sending me a wheelchair. They at first blamed the doctor then blamed it on having 40,000 wheelchair patients.

Anyway, they'll get back to me with an appointment. I'll keep you updated.

I was accessed by my local wheelchair service and they recommended an electric wheelchair was the answer as I can't roll a manual wheelchair as one arm doesn't work.

Then they showed me their preferred suppliers options by Invacare - wasn't impressed.

Then they backtracked and said I couldn't have an indor/outdoor electric wheelchair as I don't have a ramp. (I live in a bungalow!). Thentheysaid to qualify for an indoor/outdoor electric wheelchair they would need to install a ramp and new bathroom - but I'd have to pay for them both.

In the end I've gone down the private route to get what's right for me rather than what suits them.

I'm also going to buy ergonomic seat cushion and back support that's custom made for me.

My advice - go down the wheelchair voucher route and apply for a grant from a charity to cover the cost. You will be measured and the wheelchair will be custom made to fit you.

http://www.disability-grants.org/gra...s-general.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    I was accessed by my local wheelchair service and they recommended an electric wheelchair was the answer as I can't roll a manual wheelchair as one arm doesn't work.

Then they showed me their preferred suppliers options by Invacare - wasn't impressed.

Then they backtracked and said I couldn't have an indor/outdoor electric wheelchair as I don't have a ramp. (I live in a bungalow!). Thentheysaid to qualify for an indoor/outdoor electric wheelchair they would need to install a ramp and new bathroom - but I'd have to pay for them both.

In the end I've gone down the private route to get what's right for me rather than what suits them.

I'm also going to buy ergonomic seat cushion and back support that's custom made for me.

My advice - go down the wheelchair voucher route and apply for a grant from a charity to cover the cost. You will be measured and the wheelchair will be custom made to fit you.

http://www.disability-grants.org/gra...s-general.html

I'll give them a chance to help me but your route looks the most likely for me.

Thats really very unusual. Wheelchair service usually has you in, measure you, assess your needs ie whats your upper body strength? how tall are you? they measured my width (hips), knee to ankle, knee to hip and back to shoulders BEFORE recommending one.....so phone up and make a fuss. Thats the very least you need before they decide you can have this or that one!

But eh up! we hope to see you at the Mobility Roadshow....its very good, cuz you see loads of different ones and get an idea of whats available. Do go!

It is possible to buy foam and gel cushions for your chair that are much more comfortable than just using the seat.