Thread: Never claimed benefits before, not sure where to begin.

Never claimed benefits before, not sure where to begin.

I have suffered from hemiplegic migraines and chronic migraines since 2007. I have been studying since then but I am (barely) graduating uni next month. I've been there about 25% of the time and I don't think I'll pass, I genuinely don't know why they're letting me graduate but I'm not complaining.

I have had jobs over the last few years. Unfortunately they never last long (the longest was 6 months and the shortest was only a week). People are sympathetic in the beginning until they realise it's a permanent thing, and then they hand me my notice.

I am in pain constantly. Every minute of every hour of everyday. Sometimes I'm not able to do anything but lie in bed and hope to not wake up. Other times (like now) I'm able to do basic tasks but I can't be left alone for my own safety. I've had MRI scans, lumbar punctures and tried what seems like every medication under the sun, and nothing works. Nothing even helps decrease the pain.

I've booked a doctors appointment for tomorrow with my GP, and I've contacted the PIP helpline and apparently I'm getting some kind of form sent out to me.

I will be privately renting from September onwards with my partner, who owns his own business. He works from home and is able to help me.

As far as I'm aware, I am entitled to try and claim some form of PIP, ESA and possibly housing benefit. Would anyone be able to confirm this? Am I allowed to try and claim these together? Or is there something more suitable for me?

Moody
    I'd never had anything to do with benefits before I had my breakdown after working nearly 30 yrs so you are not on your own. I contacted my local Citizens Advice Bureau who walked me through the process - they even made most of the phone calls for me.

Thank you Moody. I never even thought of contacting the CAB, I'll give them a call when they reopen