Thread: vehicle excise duty

vehicle excise duty

I received PIP standard mobility from 6th march.....I've already paid my road tax for a year in September last year.

Could someone possibly help me with applying for the 50% discount step by step or point me to a helpful link as I am a proper dud where forms are concerned and I got a bit lost on dvla website.

Do i get rebate on what I've already paid £180?

Rob
    Last edited by numan43; 15-05-15 at 11:10.

Road Tax Rebate

Hi, ring up the number on your letter (the one that states PIP Mobility).

Ask them for a "Certificate of Entitlement" letter. Will take about two days to arrive. THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED.

Then pop into a post office with your log book - they will check it over and send it off. It will take about four weeks. You'll get your log book back stating - disabled - then a few days later you'll get a rebate. £180 paid in September 2014 - 9 months has passed - £70'ish - you may get about £30'ish.

The rebate will only start from the date you send in the information.

Hi, ring up the number on your letter (the one that states PIP Mobility).

Ask them for a "Certificate of Entitlement" letter. Will take about two days to arrive. THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED.

Then pop into a post office with your log book - they will check it over and send it off. It will take about four weeks. You'll get your log book back stating - disabled - then a few days later you'll get a rebate. £180 paid in September 2014 - 9 months has passed - £70'ish - you may get about £30'ish.

The rebate will only start from the date you send in the information.
    That's what you do for 100% reduction but it's a bit different when you qualify for the 50% reduction. You can't do it in the post office for starters (you have to send everything to DVLA). Also you don't need the certificate of entitlement - I think that is something that only those on higher dla/enhanced pip get?. You just need the statement of entitlement that is at the end of you PIP award letter. You send that with your registration certificate, MOT and insurance certificates.

If you scroll down this page it tells you everything you need to send

https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-di...-and-transport

I recently renewed my road tax and am eligible for the 50% discount.

And remember you no longer receive a physical paper disc. Traffic wardens can tell if you have bought a tax disc digitally via number plate recognition. Which reminds me that my old tax discs are still stuck on the front windshield!

@ catlover - thanks for clarifying - 'my bad'. Tut Tut (to myself).

i just received word back from dvla saying that that i do need certificate of entitlement???

A very lengthy and drawn out process

With the certificate of entitlement, I request one every 12 months, so I've always got a current and up-to-date copy. Then photocopy it a few times, as you never know when you might need one.

Regarding the road tax, mine expired at the end of April. I received the reminder around the 8th of April, sent off everything including a cheque for the 50% of the amount shown on the renewal notice.

Around the 26th, everything came back - including my cheque. It included a note stating that I had underpaid by £2.50 and would have to apply again - in full. (Why I just couldn't pay the £2.50 - who knows, but that's the DVLA.)

The reason for the under-payment is that (apparently) all reminders are printed in March, and sent out before any likely budget changes - about 3 million of them!

It was about mid-May before I was 'legal' again.

So, best to double check, https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

Very stressful process, not making it easy

Quote Originally Posted by numan43 View Post
    i just received word back from dvla saying that that i do need certificate of entitlement???
    Vehicle tax reduction

Eligibility

You can get a 50% reduction in vehicle tax if you get the PIP standard rate mobility component.

You can?t get a reduction for getting the DLA lower rate mobility component.

How to claim

Send all of the following to DVLA Swansea:
    your statement of entitlement (it?s at the end of your PIP award letter)
    the vehicle registration certificate (V5C)
    a V10 form
    an original MOT or GVT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)
    a cheque or payable order (made out to ?DVLA, Swansea?) for 50% of the full rate of car tax for the vehicle

You need the statement of entitlement not a certificate, as someone has just said, it is included with your award documents.