Thread: clarification

clarification

Hi all just need some advice i have just been refused pip I suffer from ocd the lady who called me to explain why I was refused said that the ocd does not prohibit me from doing carrying out daily activities I beg to differ. I suffer from pica eat soap when stressed. anyone with ocd has any advice. I'm going to send in a letter for Mandatory reconsideration. Need to know how to put pen to paper.thanks

What I read on here past few week medical evidance is the key

Moody
    Unless you have medical evidence or a professional who will provide a written report on request then you will struggle. The burden on you is not just to tell the DWP how your condition prevents you from living normally. You have to be able to demonstrate this with proof they will accept. So they will expect an OCD based claim to have supporting reports from psychiatrist, occupational therapist or community psychiatric nurse for example. It's the only way the DWP can determine if you have a debilitating mental illness or just claiming you have

Quote Originally Posted by Stacy37 View Post
    What I read on here past few week medical evidance is the key
    Not in my case all I sent them was my application and they got my DLA files and gave me a home assessment, lady was pleasantly cheerful, no physical exams, and took down my medication list and sent the report in just over a week later I got the decision enhanced rate of both components, I personally think it's how you paint the picture of the struggle you deal with everyday, I was awarded points I didn't even imagine I would, but my medical assessor was obviously watching me and realised I wasn't to safe in the kitchen

Best of luck

Keep a diary on your day to day

Quote Originally Posted by Momof2 View Post
    Hi all just need some advice i have just been refused pip I suffer from ocd the lady who called me to explain why I was refused said that the ocd does not prohibit me from doing carrying out daily activities I beg to differ. I suffer from pica eat soap when stressed. anyone with ocd has any advice. I'm going to send in a letter for Mandatory reconsideration. Need to know how to put pen to paper.thanks
    You don't say how your OCD affects you but I am wondering whether this link might help you if you have ritualistic behaviour.

http://www.cpag.org.uk/sites/default...apter-0913.pdf

Example on page 57

I have OCD and other mental health issues , I went from 0 points to enhanced daily care on mandatory reconsideration, you have to send a lot in to back you up , Drs letters , mental health team , diaries , prescription lists . Also it's not about the OCD it's how it effects you day to day .

Quote Originally Posted by Momof2 View Post
    Sorry to hear it didn't go well.

Remember it is not the disability they are looking at - it is how it affects you.

Day to day - do not generalise - make it specific e.g. can't wash myself - NOT specific. I have difficulty getting into the shower/bath as I spend time cleaning it and have a fear of germs which then causes me stress and worry and I panic unless it is cleaned (poor example) but hopefully this paints a better picture for you.

Who completed the forms? You or an advisor? The onus is on US. WE have to provide the evidence to back things up, social worker, occupational therapist, doctors, consultants, psychiatrist, medication. They will not go searching for it.

A written diary for 24/7, statements from social workers, professionals will all help you.

Remember it is not the disability they are looking at - it is how it affects you.
    BUT: You need to evidence the fact of a 'disability' (or Illness) before you can tell them how it affects you, and the clearer you evidence the fact of your condition the better.