Thread: New minister for disabled strongly against disability benefits and human rights

New minister for disabled strongly against disability benefits and human rights

I found this story tonight and thought it needed to be brought over to this website

The prime minister has announced that the new minister for disabled people is Justin Tomlinson, Conservative MP for North Swindon. Tomlinson has a strong anti-benefits and anti-human rights background.

tomlinsonTomlinson has replaced Mark Harper, who is now the Conservative chief whip.

Tomlinson is a former national chairman of Conservative Future, the youth wing of the Conservative party and has been an MP since 2010.

He is a party loyalist, with a strong record of voting against the interests of sick and disabled claimants.

According to They work For You, Tomlinson:

Voted strongly for of the bedroom tax
    Voted very strongly against raising welfare benefits at least in line with prices
    Voted very strongly against paying higher benefits over longer periods for those unable to work due to illness or disability
    Voted very strongly for making local councils responsible for helping those in financial need afford their council tax and reducing the amount spent on such support
    Voted very strongly for a reduction in spending on welfare benefits
    Voted very strongly against spending public money to create guaranteed jobs for young people who have spent a long time unemployed.
    Tomlinson also voted in favour of repealing the Human Rights Act.

His responsibilities a minister for disabled people include:

cross-government disability issues and strategy
    Employment and Support Allowance, Work Capability Assessment and Incapacity Benefit Reassessment Programme
    disability benefits (Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment and Attendance Allowance)
    carers
    appeals reform
    fraud and error (including debt management)
    Tomlinson has some interest in health issues, but does not seem to have shown any great interest in disability issues during his time as an MP

i also hear the bedroom tax is going up, but no doubt it will get much worse.

That is a real worry, a disabled minister who seems to have no empathy or understanding, working alongside Duncan Smith who also has no idea of how the disabled, carers and the poor struggle to survive. I hate to think what they're planning next - maybe they're hoping if they slash our benefits and public services even further, more poor/disabled people will starve or freeze to death so it'll get rid of the "problem" of people who dare to be ill, disabled and poor!

To be honest, I do not think it would matter who was in charge of these departments. The Conservatives are determined to push on with welfare "reform", (not the word I would use, more like dismantling).

They are spending so much money implementing these "reforms" and the Tribunals, etc, but these figures are not mentioned. Only the cost of welfare is repeatedly drummed into the publics heads.

I understand the need to try and "fix" the system in some instances, but in my eyes it is just getting worse. The whole thing is broken and it is the people who need it most who are suffering.

I just wish that all the people who are jumping on the bandwagon of "benefits cheats and scroungers" portrayed by the Goverment and media, are never in the situation where they need help, through losing their job, becoming too ill to work etc.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

A new leader of the DWP, also supports the death penalty.

I don't think they'll have much luck overthrowing human rights, unless these new "British rights" from the Conservative party manifesto, mirror the human rights that are already in place.

I would not be surprised to see more riots occurring due to the Tory government.
    fingers crossed, the small majority that they have in regards to seating will prevent them from making inhumane legislation.