Thread: Working is getting too much for me now need advice pls?

Working is getting too much for me now need advice pls?

I'm in. Bit of a dilemma at the moment and do not know what to do?

I am currently working 16 hrs and relieve working tax credits with severe disability element as I receive enhance pip for both parts. My husband is a full time career for his mum and receives careers allowance for looking after her.

I'm getting to the point now were me working is too much for me and I feel so ill all the time. My husband and I have discussed him getting a job and me giving up work.

We would need to enquire with help for looking after my mother in law.

I would lose my working tax credits and I do not know how we would survive. If my husband were to get a job can be claim tax credits and would I receive the disability element? Any advice would be appreciated regards min x

Quote Originally Posted by Minnirodg View Post
    I'm in. Bit of a dilemma at the moment and do not know what to do?

I am currently working 16 hrs and relieve working tax credits with severe disability element as I receive enhance pip for both parts. My husband is a full time career for his mum and receives careers allowance for looking after her.

I'm getting to the point now were me working is too much for me and I feel so ill all the time. My husband and I have discussed him getting a job and me giving up work.

We would need to enquire with help for looking after my mother in law.

I would lose my working tax credits and I do not know how we would survive. If my husband were to get a job can be claim tax credits and would I receive the disability element? Any advice would be appreciated regards min x
    You could put in a joint claim for tax credits but any awards would depend of the number of hours worked and the amount earned. Do you have children?

According to HMRC:

The severe disability element
    If you or your partner (if you are claiming as a couple) get
    Disability Living Allowance (highest rate care component),
    enhanced daily living component of Personal Independence Payment,
    Armed Forces Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance (higher rate),
    you can get the severe disability element.
    You do not have to be working to qualify for the severe disability element
    as long as your partner does. If you both qualify, you will get 2 severe
    disability elements.

Put some different scenarios into the benefit calculator on www.entitledto.co.uk to see what your entitlements might be.

Before you pull the plug and regret it - have you thought of asking for more support through 'Access to Work' the number one support agency for disabled people in work.

https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work/what-youll-get

You don't mention any ESA in your post.

If you are not already claiming this then it may be another option.

ESA is for people who find that they are no longer able to work, or are restricted in what work they can do, due to a health condition.

It does come with a few obligations, you need to go for a Work Capability Assessment, and depending on the outcome of that may have to visit the jobcentre now and again. (and maybe do the Work Programme which is not that onerous for ESA claimants).

If you feel able to you can also do some work whilst claiming ESA; up to 16 hours per week earning no more then 104 without it affecting your ESA payments. This is called 'Permitted Work'.

This may be another option for you.

You can find more details here:
    https://www.gov.uk/employment-suppor...wance/overview

As pmlindyloo says try one of the online benefit calculators, you can run them more than once and put different scenarios in to see what you would be entitled to in each case.

It is also a good idea to talk to your local CAB or council welfare officer who can see all your paperwork etc. and advise you the best way to go.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.