Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telling DVLA

Telling DVLA

Hi

Does anyone know what level of disability requires the DVLA to be informed? It didn't cross my mind until my car insurance asked the question. I can drive a normal car, however as my left leg is where my problems are, I get very sore, so have bought an automatic. It's the first time I have owned a car or got insurance since my disability started, so all very new to me.

Thanks

Hi V81.

https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving

If in doubt advise them, then you know you've covered every avenue.

you need to inform them if the nature of your disability requires you to drive an automatic car where you used to drive a manual one.

I know this as i have just filled in the forms to tell them about my neurothopy in my feet, and this was one of the questions on the form i had to fill in

JUliex

Quote Originally Posted by candy1567 View Post
    you need to inform them if the nature of your disability requires you to drive an automatic car where you used to drive a manual one.

I know this as i have just filled in the forms to tell them about my neurothopy in my feet, and this was one of the questions on the form i had to fill in

JUliex
    Best to keep a copy and send recorded delivery.

Hi V81, you stated " I can drive a normal car" therefore you don't need to contact the DVLA unless you can't do so safely.

I have similar problems to you i.e. I prefer driving an auto because constant clutching makes my left leg ache.

You yourself will know how safe you are when driving.

When I told the DVLA they added restrictions to my driving licence. It says must drive vehicles with suitable adaptations.

I'm also banned from driving a motorbike, tank and tractor! I have no intention of driving any of them. lol

Their interpretation of 'adapted vehicle' covers automatic, hand or feet controls etc - very broad brush.

Often its too confusing and degree needed to understand language used.

As someone said above, if in doubt, declare it anyway so that your covered. It sounds like your already making adaptions to accommodate your disability in opting for an automatic.

If there is any doubt whatsoever always taking best and finest course of action to declare

Something of interest and related to this thread in the news today...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34912771