Thread: Complicated PIP issue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Complicated PIP issue

I urgently require help and advice ,after finally getting her pip consultation my wife received an decision on the 16/04/2015 ,it said she was not entitled to either rate ,she was awarded 19 points for living element and 10 for mobility.After phoning up they said it was their mistake and issued a back payment aswell as reconsidering just the mobility aspect.
    Today the decision arrived and again said she wasnt entitled to either rate despite the 19 and 10 points for each elements.After calling them they said it was a mistake and would send out a new letter ,i called again to clarify with another advisor who said they may of accidentally looked at the whole claim again and failed it,they were confused as to why it was refused despite the point descriptor score.

What do i do now?Wait or keep phoning them? Start an appeal?

Thanks for any advice

When my husband got his PIP award letter, it said he had 8 points on daily living and was entitled to standard rate. It went on to say he had 8 points on mobility but wasn't entitled to mobility rate, but on another page of the same letter it said that 8 points on the mobility section entitled you to standard rate.

I rang them straight away to query it and they agreed that it looked like he should get standard mobility and couldn't say why he hadn't been awarded it. They said they would get someone to look into it and ring back within 5 days. 5 days passed and no one rang. Rang them back and they said they had a backlog and knew it would take longer than 5 days to get a call back but that they still had to tell people it was 5 days. This went on for 5 or 6 weeks, me ringing weekly and pestering them to sort it out and being told it was "being processed". One person did tell me they'd come across this problem before, particularly with people entitled to standard mobility, and they thought it was probably a processing error. In the end I told them I wanted to make an official complaint because the time it was taking to sort it out was unacceptable, in the hope it would get them moving a bit faster. Not long after they wrote to say he was entitled to standard mobility and he got back pay shortly after. I spoke to a local benefits adviser and he said he'd had a few other people with the same problem, and that some of the DWP computer systems are ancient and not up to the job, creating errors in people's benefit awards.

I would keep ringing them and tell them that you wish to make a formal complaint because the way they have dealt with your wife's claim is unacceptable, as it did seem to speed them up when I did it. I would also speak to a benefit adviser if you can, in case they can shed more light on what might be going on and whether there's any more you can do about it. They can also help with a mandatory reconsideration and appeal if you feel she should be entitled to enhanced mobility.